Collapse

Ford Government, Year One

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

I would argue Ford is worse. The perception of him "trying to do the right thing" is IMO just him playing the folksy bud next door character you would have a beer with. He is 100% bought and paid for to deliver very specific things to his donors. It would be great if his donors wishes aligned with what is best for average people in the province but it is not. This all came about by finally breaking through when Wynne turned toxic so the option opened up to slot almost anyone into the PC leadership and they would become premier, so why not put in the most easily corruptable option. Hey if I was a big money conservative donor I likely would have done exactly what they did. The only downside is the dismantling of provincial services and redirection of our tax money to projects that help donors at the expense of things like healthcare, infrastructure (other than on the doorstep of targetted developments), the environment, social safety nets, education, old age care, etc....
    Ford has not (yet) damaged the province anywhere near the degree of damaged Harris inflicted.
    Possibly as attempting to manage the province during the pandemic has tied his hands?

Just some (from memory) of the devastating errors that make up the Harris legacy includes:
    1. The leasing of the 407
    2. The destruction of the 'Greenbelt' around Toronto
    3. The 'amalgamation' of Metro Toronto
    4. The filling in of the Eglinton subway tunnel
    5. Changes to LTC homes including reducing government oversight/inspections. That hasn't come back to bite us has it? And during the first year of the pandemic it was reported that he received over $225k from one of the operators of these homes.
    6. Downloading funding of the TTC with the resultant service issues
    7. Downloading responsibility for Ontario Housing to the municipalities with the resulting issues regarding maintenance and access
    8. Closing hospitals
    9. The Ipperwash Crisis, in which he threw at least one OPP officer 'under the bus' and the Queen's Park OPSEU protest which saw another OPP officer 'thrown under the bus'. The inquiries into these may have influenced ex-Chief Sloly to take a hands off approach to the convoy.
    10. Splitting up of/destruction of Ontario Hydro
    11. Over $1 billion in funding cuts to education in the province
    12. The attempt to introduce 'workfare' resulting in over 500,000 losing their income/social supports

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
      Ford has not (yet)
      I'm sure the last 2 years have both helped and hindered him. The fact some 30 MO's have been put out, largely during this time is concerning. I'm sure with peoples attention elsewhere, he's also gotten away with far more that will only come to light in the coming years.

It's also a safe bet if things are looking bad for him a few months before the election, he and his cronies will be in over gear to try and get things put in motion that can't be stopped without having a huge payout back to them when cancelled....

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Ford has not (yet) damaged the province anywhere near the degree of damaged Harris inflicted.
        Possibly as attempting to manage the province during the pandemic has tied his hands?

Just some (from memory) of the devastating errors that make up the Harris legacy includes:
        1. The leasing of the 407
        2. The destruction of the 'Greenbelt' around Toronto
        3. The 'amalgamation' of Metro Toronto
        4. The filling in of the Eglinton subway tunnel
        5. Changes to LTC homes including reducing government oversight/inspections. That hasn't come back to bite us has it? And during the first year of the pandemic it was reported that he received over $225k from one of the operators of these homes.
        6. Downloading funding of the TTC with the resultant service issues
        7. Downloading responsibility for Ontario Housing to the municipalities with the resulting issues regarding maintenance and access
        8. Closing hospitals
        9. The Ipperwash Crisis, in which he threw at least one OPP officer 'under the bus' and the Queen's Park OPSEU protest which saw another OPP officer 'thrown under the bus'. The inquiries into these may have influenced ex-Chief Sloly to take a hands off approach to the convoy.
        10. Splitting up of/destruction of Ontario Hydro
        11. Over $1 billion in funding cuts to education in the province
        12. The attempt to introduce 'workfare' resulting in over 500,000 losing their income/social supports
        I would essentially agree that Harris and Ford are clearly the two worst premiers in our lifetime and beyond that not sure who is worse matters much in discussing the upcoming election. I still say Ford is worse (It is after all an opinion, not a game w. rules and a defined winner or loser) and if we give him a second term am sure the list of his messes will only grow.

Fun fact on Ford, and I am not about to factcheck this and assume whoever did the counting is correct but have read of the 76 Conservative MPP's elected in the past election 22 of them are not going to run again with Ford as their leader. Am sure for many different reasons but am led to understand that when approx. 3 out of 10 of your MPP's bow out of the next race that is not a good internal show of support for their leader.

Comment

• Originally posted by pendlebg View Post

I would essentially agree that Harris and Ford are clearly the two worst premiers in our lifetime and beyond that not sure who is worse matters much in discussing the upcoming election. I still say Ford is worse (It is after all an opinion, not a game w. rules and a defined winner or loser) and if we give him a second term am sure the list of his messes will only grow.

Fun fact on Ford, and I am not about to factcheck this and assume whoever did the counting is correct but have read of the 76 Conservative MPP's elected in the past election 22 of them are not going to run again with Ford as their leader. Am sure for many different reasons but am led to understand that when approx. 3 out of 10 of your MPP's bow out of the next race that is not a good internal show of support for their leader.
          If Ford is re-elected , Ontarian's will no longer be able to poke fun of American stupidity in electing Trump, we would be equally moronic, he is and has been a terrible Premier and like Trump not even remotely qualified for the job.

Many Torontonians already wear another badge of stupidity having voted Dougie's incompetent, crack head brother as Mayor. I am sure some will go for the Trifecta of Stupidity

the catch-phrase for the next election has to be

"Anyone but Ford"
          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Weirfan View Post

If Ford is re-elected , Ontarian's will no longer be able to poke fun of American stupidity in electing Trump, we would be equally moronic, he is and has been a terrible Premier and like Trump not even remotely qualified for the job.

Many Torontonians already wear another badge of stupidity having voted Dougie's incompetent, crack head brother as Mayor. I am sure some will go for the Trifecta of Stupidity

the catch-phrase for the next election has to be

"Anyone but Ford"
            "Anyone"?

It really does depend on who the Libs put forward and what his qualifications are. I assume it will still be DelDuca, but he remains a bit of an enigma.

I NEVER go for absolutes, which is why I questioned your "anyone".

Because there are worse people in this country, and God help us if one of them becomes Liberal leader. (I've excluded whatever might happen with all the fringe parties and the NDP).
            "Confusion" will be my epitaph
            ...Iggy

Comment

• Another issue is that Ford's Cabinet and bank benches are sorely lacking in talent.

Rod Phillips was perhaps his most competent Minister before resigning.
              Christine Elliott in my opinion was a disappointment.
              Caroline Mulroney was not a disappointment. I expected little to nothing from her, and that is what she has contributed.

Monte McNaughton has in my estimation has been something of a revelation.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
              X