Collapse

GOP Only the best people

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WWFS View Post

Nah. Both sides of the GOP hate the Dems more than they hate the devil.

I think any potential GOP Speaker who cut any kind of deal with the Dems would break McCarthy's record for length of time before getting booted.

If McCarthy didn't do the round of Sunday talk shows and trying to blame the Dems for getting the CR passed, he probably would have got enough Dem votes to stay in the chair.

I don't agree with Gaetz on almost anything, but McCarthy's problem is that he couldn't be trusted. His mouth kept making deals and promises that he couldn't keep.

This is probably a major reason McCarthy didn't get any Dem support, today...

(Roughly between 4:30 and 5:25)

I watched that bit, and she actually laughs at him when he blames the Dems for not getting the bill passed.
    Of the 91 votes against, only 1 was Democrat who held out because of no funding for Ukraine. The rest were all GOP.

So..... I guess the Dems felt he was being a traitor to the deal they had supported, by lying about it.

Lots of online discussion says the Dems should have just held their noses over this and kept him in as Speaker.

At some point though, you've got to take a stand and say "enough of this BS - you guys have to own this".

The question is whether or not this was the right place/time/issue to take that stand.
    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
    ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I watched that bit, and she actually laughs at him when he blames the Dems for not getting the bill passed.
      Of the 91 votes against, only 1 was Democrat who held out because of no funding for Ukraine. The rest were all GOP.

So..... I guess the Dems felt he was being a traitoir to the deal they had supported, by lying about it.

Lots of online discussion says the Dems should have just held their noses over this and kept him in as Speaker.

At some point though, you've got to take a stand and say "enough of this BS - you guys have to own this".

The question is whether or not this was the right place/time/issue to take that stand.
      It certainly wasn't the 1st time McCarthy went against promises/deals/commitments that he made with the Dems. I've never believed that Cousin Kevin is very bright, or an honest broker.

I would have definitely voted against the motion to table the resolution. As for the actual vote to oust Cousin Kevin, I too am not sure it was what the Dems should have done.

The Dems will almost certainly end up having to deal with a bigger idiot than McCarthy, and the House will be even more dysfunction than it already is. Who takes the blame for that is the 218 seat question.
      TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

It certainly wasn't the 1st time McCarthy went against promises/deals/commitments that he made with the Dems. I've never believed that Cousin Kevin is very bright, or an honest broker.

I would have definitely voted against the motion to table the resolution. As for the actual vote to oust Cousin Kevin, I too am not sure it was what the Dems should have done.

The Dems will almost certainly end up having to deal with a bigger idiot than McCarthy, and the House will be even more dysfunction than it already is. Who takes the blame for that is the 218 seat question.
        For some reason I'm reminded of running into an old friend who I hadn't seen in years and talking about our kids and school. We (and everyone I knew) were always desperately working on ways to make sure our kids got ahead no matter what.

She told a story of how at one parent-teacher night the teacher said "he's going to fail if you don't find a way to make him do his homework" and she said "so fail him. He needs to learn from this". (he failed)

So maybe it's time (we're almost 3/4 thru this term) to let the GOP blow themselves up. It will hurt, but it's the only way they're going to learn. And I really believe we need (at least) 2 different visions for government. What we don't need as a dysfunctional clown show how have no interest in policy holding a gun to everyone else's head. That's what they did to Qevin and now "here we are" with Gym Jordan in the mix.
        ...Iggy

Comment

The Republicans are in the majority, and that comes with many advantages. They are now finding that it also comes with many responsibilities such as electing a Speaker who must manage the House at the highest level in order to actually govern as voters expect them to do.

If the Democrats were as smart as they would like to thing they are, then they will sit back as much as possible and allow the chaos to unfold, showing the American electorate proof of the old saying that goes "It's not the whistle that pulls the train.".

Comment

• Would a majority of Dems + a handful of "sensible" Republicans back Liz Cheney for Speaker?

It might just be a minority of GOP who hate her and brand her as a RINO.

Then again, she might be a tough sell to the Dems.

A workable compromise?
            ...Iggy

Comment

So maybe it's time (we're almost 3/4 thru this term) to let the GOP blow themselves up. It will hurt, but it's the only way they're going to learn. And I really believe we need (at least) 2 different visions for government. What we don't need as a dysfunctional clown show how have no interest in policy holding a gun to everyone else's head. That's what they did to Qevin and now "here we are" with Gym Jordan in the mix.
              Actually, it's not quite halfway through their two-year term which ends in early January 2025, so there's about 15 months to go.

A poor showing by the House Republicans will not help other Republicans get elected or re-elected to the Senate.

Trump will still be a factor as the factions within the House Republican conference grow deeper, mainly because Trump will encourage bad policies and will threaten to primary any member who doesn't cooperate. Over time, more Republicans may choose to break away and take their chances within their respective districts by appealing to their non-MAGA Republican voters. Of course, those who do get primaried will be replaced by far-right candidates who may be unacceptable to most constituents and therefore risk losing the seat.

Comment

Would a majority of Dems + a handful of "sensible" Republicans back Liz Cheney for Speaker?

It might just be a minority of GOP who hate her and brand her as a RINO.

Then again, she might be a tough sell to the Dems.

A workable compromise?
                The speaker doesn't need to be a congressperson but I doubt the Dems would go for it. I believe a year from now we will see a very different and blue House and Senate. If Republicans are smart they may want to appease the Dems now.

Comment

• Okay, so how about Mitt Romney for Speaker then? I figure the only possible compromise winner has to come from the GOP.

Here he gives a really good and simple explanation for supporting the war in Ukraine. My hope is that some people will be swayed by it, but the reality is that everyone is so fully hunkered down in their beliefs that they will just call him a RINO and a traitor and call for him to be executed for treason....

...Iggy

Comment

• As it currently stands, there will be 3 GOP nominees for Speaker:

1 - Steve Scalise
                    2 - Gym Jordan
                    3 - P01135809

Comment

• I like the idea of Romney but he has been too vocal on Trump being unfit for office. The magas won't have it.

Comment

Poor Qevin, he finally got his dream job and didn't know what to do with it. Kinda like a dog that catches a porcupine....

Hannity says there's a movement to make Trump the new Speaker, and that he's open to the idea.

Meanwhile, in Urgent Business, the VERY FIRST act of the Acting Speaker is to order Nancy Pelosi to vacate her office space by end of day today. She is currently across the country attending Diane Feinstein's funeral.

Another one who seems better at grandstanding than governing.

These guys.....

Anyways, the one positive thing is that they continue to split themselves apart. Boebert against MTG, Gaetz against Jordan and on and on.
                        It was McCarthy who ordered that. Hoyer was also kicked out of his office.

Comment

It was McCarthy who ordered that. Hoyer was also kicked out of his office.
                          Are you serious?

He really is a Qnt then.
                          ...Iggy

Comment

• An interesting insider thread on why the Dems couldn't support Qevin:

Essentially he gave them no reason to trust him. His best pitch was to trust him when he told them he was lying to his team...

@Fritschner: Pretty evident people don't understand a key piece of House Dems' thinking on McCarthy and governance of the House. The idea that we acted out of schadenfreude or pique with no thought to the legislativ...…
                            ...Iggy

Comment

For some reason I'm reminded of running into an old friend who I hadn't seen in years and talking about our kids and school. We (and everyone I knew) were always desperately working on ways to make sure our kids got ahead no matter what.

She told a story of how at one parent-teacher night the teacher said "he's going to fail if you don't find a way to make him do his homework" and she said "so fail him. He needs to learn from this". (he failed)

I agree whole-heartedly with the bolded part. (Not ignoring the other bits, just avoiding confusion).

Comment

As it currently stands, there will be 3 GOP nominees for Speaker:

1 - Steve Scalise
                                2 - Gym Jordan
                                3 - P01135809
                                I don't see any of them being voted in . . . what do you think?
                                If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X