No announcement yet.
Collapse

January 6 Select Committee Hearings.

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Excerpts from an article itemizing why the author believes that the outcome of these hearings will not 'change the minds of any voters'.

Edward Keenan –The Star – June 10, 2022

As I was watching the first of several public hearings outlining the findings of the congressional committee investigating the Jan. 6 insurrectionist riot at the U.S. Capitol on Thursday night, a memory of the Rob Ford years in Toronto flashed through my mind.

Back then, in the months after Gawker and the Star reported that the mayor had smoked crack cocaine but he was denying it, journalists got a lot of feedback on social media suggesting we weren’t asking Ford the right questions every day, or for not shouting “you’re lying” in response to everything he said. There seemed to be an underlying assumption that if we just phrased a question correctly, or took the right adversarial tone, Ford would stumble into admitting everything — and that such an admission would turn his remaining supporters against him, and he would resign in disgrace.

Then one day, out of the blue, he admitted he’d smoked crack cocaine, “probably in one of my drunken stupors.”

And what happened after that is his support basically held. He continued to refuse to resign, while he and his team didn’t budge from the narrative that his key problem was that the media had it in for him. He remained competitive in a race for re-election until cancer — not scandal — finally forced him out of it.

If ever there was conclusive evidence in my mind that almost no revelation could change the status of a deeply polarized political struggle if one side is completely shameless, that was it.

This is a story Americans are already familiar with. Many remain horrified by it, and seeing it in vivid detail will no doubt refresh their disgust. But a substantial number of them — a majority of Republican voters — dismiss it as no big deal. Exaggerated, or overblown. They continue to think Trump is the hard-done-by hero of the story of that day. And I think it is unlikely any revelation — even one as clear cut as when Ford admitted his crack use and his dishonesty about it — is likely to change that.

Trump’s entire plot to deny the election results and stay in power is important to understand for its own sake — not least because he and his supporters have been trying to change laws and elect or appoint election officials who will make such an attempt successful next time.

Cheney, an ideological conservative who voted loyally with Trump for four years, addressed her fellow Republicans who are trying to convince their voters that the committee hearings are a partisan political stunt. “There will come a day when Donald Trump is gone, but your dishonour will remain,” she said.

Comment

If it doesn’t interest you why are you reading them?
      Last edited by Mule56; Jun 10, 2022, 03:14 PM. Reason: Removed quote from Kentucky Blue Balls new account.

Comment

Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

If it doesn’t interest you why are you reading them?
        For the same reason he has created dozens of other accounts. He's lonely!

TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
          Excerpts from an article itemizing why the author believes that the outcome of these hearings will not 'change the minds of any voters'.

Edward Keenan –The Star – June 10, 2022
          That a sitting President willfully attempted to ignore the results of an election and tried to overturn the will of the electorate is a lot different than a mayor smoking crack. While many Republicans would vote for Trump under any circumstance there are many in the middle. If they choose not to hold Trump accountable it does not bode well for the democratic republic. They are willing to arbitrarily assign power to a tyrant.

Comment

Originally posted by WWFS View Post

He's lonely!
            There's probably a very good reason for that...

Comment

Originally posted by WWFS View Post

For the same reason he has created dozens of other accounts. He's lonely!
              The thought occurred to me after I replied that it might well be him.

Comment

Last night, Trump said of Jan. 6th

"the most patriotic thing I’ve ever seen."

He went on to say that anyone who disagrees “is an enemy of the nation.”

Comment

Fox News decided not to air the hearing last night. Not only that, they were so afraid of their viewers changing channel that they decided to go commercial free.

Comment

LOL, Pence, in for the Shilling.

In truth, I don't think he will spill what he knows.
                    things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

True to form, when all else failed, Trump threw his daughter under the bus, and just continued lying.

Preliminary reports say that about 20 million people watched last night’s compelling hearing of the House Select Committee to Investigate the January 6th Attack on the U.S. Capitol. That number, which does not include streaming or later views, is fewer than tune in for a normal State of the Union address, but more than for the World Series. In contrast, Secretary of State Hillary Clinton’s 11-hour testimony in a 2015 Benghazi hearing drew only about 4 million viewers.
                      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare. View Post
                        True to form, when all else failed, Trump threw his daughter under the bus, and just continued lying.

https://heathercoxrichardson.substac...m_medium=email
                        I do not know if the eventual goal to put Trump behind bars will be achieved. I am hopeful that enough votes will be swayed that the November election will not swing the House and Senate to the Right. I will not hold my breath.
                        Historians and Sociologists will write many a book about this chapter in world events- hopefully there will still be something worth writing about

Comment

Originally posted by jimfastcar View Post

I do not know if the eventual goal to put Trump behind bars will be achieved. I am hopeful that enough votes will be swayed that the November election will not swing the House and Senate to the Right. I will not hold my breath.
                          Historians and Sociologists will write many a book about this chapter in world events- hopefully there will still be something worth writing about
                          How historians write about this will very much depend on who's doing the writing. Today's politicians can't even agree on how the Civil War should be written about. Most states now teach a revisionist history of the Civil War that has little to do with the truth.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post

I have to wonder how any American can still support a man who would throw his own daughter under the bus? He’s simply deplorable.

Comment

Originally posted by mpare View Post

TBH I did not read Trump's tweet as throwing her under the bus, I thought he was protecting her. Saying she had "checked out" meaning she had moved on and was uninvolved.

Regardless, reliving some of the events of Jan 6 and the ongoing use of the "stolen election" story is chilling. It also makes it crystal clear to me that they absolutely must find a way to prosecute Trump. He's a threat to American democracy and its institutions, and they've proven to be a pretty good model for about 250 years now.

"Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

Really??? I thought that they did a very good job summarizing some of what had emerged during their investigations. On the other hand, if one is like Fox and determined to save Trump at all costs, then one can make a claim akin to yours. The problem, though, is that the facts simply overwhelm any concerted effort to neutralize the story of seditious conspiracy that traces back to Donald Trump.

Last edited by Mule56; Jun 11, 2022, 10:51 AM. Reason: Removed quote from Kentucky Blue Balls 20.1
                                This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X