This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by NineNineSix View Post
    Odd story with Keefe walking back these comments he made. I suspect there is more to the story that may come out in due time….wouldn’t surprise me if the core of the team is upset with the goaltending situation.

Certainly wasn’t Kallgren’s fault vs Arizona, but he also could have made a save on soft second goal.
    Superstars making 8 figures complaining about an AHL goalies effort against a team mostly full of marginal NHLers...... No that would be a bad look!

Especially when they could only score 2 goals despite lots of puck possession, maybe the coach was on to something?

Comment

• Originally posted by High cut View Post

Superstars making 8 figures complaining about an AHL goalies effort against a team mostly full of marginal NHLers...... No that would be a bad look!

Especially when they could only score 2 goals despite lots of puck possession, maybe the coach was on to something?
      I don’t think they’d be complaining about Kallgren’s effort but more so the fact that management has set them up to be in a position where virtually every game they’re gonna play this year they will have the second best goalie on the ice.

Jack was obviously a very popular guy and when you see the cap hit of Samsonov + Murray versus what Jack got, I could see how that’s hard to swallow for the guys in the room.

Comment

I don’t think they’d be complaining about Kallgren’s effort but more so the fact that management has set them up to be in a position where virtually every game they’re gonna play this year they will have the second best goalie on the ice.

Jack was obviously a very popular guy and when you see the cap hit of Samsonov + Murray versus what Jack got, I could see how that’s hard to swallow for the guys in the room.
        Teams win when the best and highest paid players take ownership of success or failure. If they wanted a better goalie, they should have left some cap room.

You are starting to explain why this team hasn't won anything yet.

Comment

Teams win when the best and highest paid players take ownership of success or failure. If they wanted a better goalie, they should have left some cap room.

I said it right from the start, these guys would have been smarter to have taken less for themselves and "shared the wealth" a little better.

We're stuck with a team where too much cap is tied up in just 4 players.

Funny thing is, if they'd left more on the table they may have made more money through endorsements.

The greatest heroes in hockey have legendary cup wins.

If our guys can't get it over the line before their time is up, no one will remember them. People remember the Rocket Richards (is there a trophy named after that guy?), the Beliveaus, Cournoyers... or more recently the Sids, Ginos, MAFs, etc.

No one in the future is gonna talk about how much these guys signed for, or what cars they could buy, except maybe in a negative way.
          "Confusion" will be my epitaph
          ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I said it right from the start, these guys would have been smarter to have taken less for themselves and "shared the wealth" a little better.

We're stuck with a team where too much cap is tied up in just 4 players.

Funny thing is, if they'd left more on the table they may have made more money through endorsements.

The greatest heroes in hockey have legendary cup wins.

If our guys can't get it over the line before their time is up, no one will remember them. People remember the Rocket Richards (is there a trophy named after that guy?), the Beliveaus, Cournoyers... or more recently the Sids, Ginos, MAFs, etc.

No one in the future is gonna talk about how much these guys signed for, or what cars they could buy, except maybe in a negative way.
            FIFY We're stuck with a team where too much cap is tied up in just 4 players all playing forward.

If Matthews signs another contract with the Leafs, he will go down as the best Leaf ever, or the best Leaf to never win a cup. Marner will be in the top 10 all time.

Some guys just want to maximize their earnings, others really want to win a cup. Hard to blame them for the former, especially when they are signing their first big contract.
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

• Marners comment about being grown men is also an interesting tail.
              Titleist TSi 3 w/ Project X Hzrdus Smoke Green 6.5
              Titleist TSi 3wd Ventus 7X
              Taylor Made Stealth+ Hybrid 19.5 Kai lia 95x
              Titleist T-100 KBS Tour 130x
              Taylor Made Hi Toe 50-54-58 DGS400
              Ping Redwood Anser 35" Black Finish!!!
              Ping Hoofer

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

FIFY We're stuck with a team where too much cap is tied up in just 4 players all playing forward.

If Matthews signs another contract with the Leafs, he will go down as the best Leaf ever, or the best Leaf to never win a cup. Marner will be in the top 10 all time.

Some guys just want to maximize their earnings, others really want to win a cup. Hard to blame them for the former, especially when they are signing their first big contract.
                Yes sir, I should have said all forwards.

I'm still thinking a Mathews with 3 cups might maximize his earnings more than the guy who maxxed his contract. No way to tell, it's just a thought.

One thing I'm sure about is it would be way more fun to show the grandkids all the rings and cups you'd won, than to keep looking at copies of your biggest contract moments....

Why do I care? Because I moved to Toronto in 1961, watched us win 4 cups before I turned 11 and have been waiting with increasing frustration since then.

I'm just not sure how many more seasons I've got left.....
                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

One thing I'm sure about is it would be way more fun to show the grandkids all the rings and cups you'd won, than to keep looking at copies of your biggest contract moments....
                  That's always been my thoughts, especially for the stars who are gonna get paid regardless. I've never understood the difference between making $100M vs $120M in a career but have obviously never been in that position and never will.

And if getting paid a bit less meant I could have better teammates, then sure, which means my chance of getting a cup or two goes up. But these guys probably don't think like that (and have agents that don't either). Mid to low level guys I can see wanting to maximize every dollar as they never know if this is their last contract.

Comment

• I would love to be proved wrong, but Mitch Marner is a cancer on that team soon as they treat him better off everyone will be.

It was a problem in Junior he’s been a problem with the Leafs from his hold out He is overpaid and his comments after the meeting with the coach just reinforce the cancer that he is.
                    Canada
                    Callaway Epic GBB Accra F 260 M3
                    Titleist TS2 16.5*
                    Taylormade Rescue 22*
                    4-PW Callaway Apex CF16 Accra 90i
                    52* Clevland RTX 4.0
                    56* Cleveland RTX 4.0
                    Scotty Circa 62 # 7 35”

Florida
                    Cobra F6
                    R7 15*
                    Nicket Ironwood 3 Hybrid 20*
                    Srixon Z565 4-G Project X LZ 5.5
                    Vokey 56* 60*
                    Pyramid 34 “

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeffc View Post

That's always been my thoughts, especially for the stars who are gonna get paid regardless. I've never understood the difference between making $100M vs $120M in a career but have obviously never been in that position and never will.

And if getting paid a bit less meant I could have better teammates, then sure, which means my chance of getting a cup or two goes up. But these guys probably don't think like that (and have agents that don't either). Mid to low level guys I can see wanting to maximize every dollar as they never know if this is their last contract.

I wonder how much pressure the NHLPA tries to put on these guys to always try and get the biggest contract, maybe they hope it will set precedents for the next players up for contracts.

The opposite would be taking less money and and setting a bad precedent in the eyes of the NHLPA.
                      Ping G410 Plus
                      Ping G410 3W
                      Ping G400 7W or 3H
                      Ping G400 4H
                      Ping G400 5 - UW
                      Ping Glide 3.0 54/14 WS
                      Ping Glide 3.0 58/10 SS
                      Gamer: Odyssey Tri-Hot 5K One (Evnroll gravity grip)
                      Back up: SeeMore DB4 Nashville (303 milled)

Comment

Your comment makes no sense because Murray + Campbell have near identical cap hits and they could have just stuck with Campbell/Kallgren and would be saving money vs the goalie tandem they have now.

All this malarkey about “ownership of success or failure”…I wonder, did Nathan Mackinnon and Gabe Landeskog suddenly decide to “take ownership” of their success and failures last season and that’s why they won the Cup?

Are McDavid and Draisaitl overpaid malcontents who should have left more cap money on the table? Or does that only apply to the Leafs’ star players for some reason?

31/32 teams end every season as failures. It’s hilarious to me the Leafs haters/trolls who want to throw Matthews and Marner out on their *** when without question they are two of the very best players in the world (one is reigning MVP the other is back to back 1st Team All Star).

Comment

Your comment makes no sense because Murray + Campbell have near identical cap hits and they could have just stuck with Campbell/Kallgren and would be saving money vs the goalie tandem they have now.

All this malarkey about “ownership of success or failure”…I wonder, did Nathan Mackinnon and Gabe Landeskog suddenly decide to “take ownership” of their success and failures last season and that’s why they won the Cup?

Are McDavid and Draisaitl overpaid malcontents who should have left more cap money on the table? Or does that only apply to the Leafs’ star players for some reason?

31/32 teams end every season as failures. It’s hilarious to me the Leafs haters/trolls who want to throw Matthews and Marner out on their *** when without question they are two of the very best players in the world (one is reigning MVP the other is back to back 1st Team All Star).
                          your constant defence of the Leafs make
                          so many of us chuckle....you must be the President of
                          Leaf Nation.....

Comment

Well said

Comment

Nylander is on a team friendly deal.

Matthews is paid fairly... (less than Mcdavid and Mckinnon)...

Marner is paid fairly... (less than Panarin)...

I wonder if Oilers and Rangers fans are going to be screaming that they should toss McDavid and Panarin when they don't win the cup this year...

Comment

• Originally posted by SeanAvery2point0 View Post

Nylander is on a team friendly deal.

Matthews is paid fairly... (less than Mcdavid and Mckinnon)...

Marner is paid fairly... (less than Panarin)...

I wonder if Oilers and Rangers fans are going to be screaming that they should toss McDavid and Panarin when they don't win the cup this year...
                                Except McDavid and Panarin didn't get walked to free agency with a NMC in the last year of their deals.

Panarin was a free agent. The Leafs had leverage over Marner.

McDavid is well, McDavid.
                                Last edited by Jeffc; Oct 20, 2022, 07:53 PM.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X