Collapse

Handicaps and Tournament Scores

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Handicaps and Tournament Scores

What is the consensus on whether Match Play scores should be entered as Tournament scores for handicap purposes?

Re: Handicaps and Tournament Scores

The Handicap System Manual, available on line, says you are to post match play scores; and if the tournament committee says that you are to post your score as a T-score, then do so.

Comment

Originally posted by OKHC View Post
      The Handicap System Manual, available on line, says you are to post match play scores; and if the tournament committee says that you are to post your score as a T-score, then do so.
      IS the score adjusted? IE - a pickup on a par 3 being recorded as an 8 (for a 19 Cap). What if opponent has an Eagle on a P5 and you pickup after 3 shots?

Comment

The Manual instructs you to enter your most likely score for the hole. Eight on a par 3 is the ESC maximum; that's a different topic. Hmmm, well, it's not a different topic --- ESC applies, so yes, you enter your adjusted score.

You could play an 18 hole match and never complete a hole, but you still enter an 18 hole score into the handicap system.
        Last edited by OKHC; Jul 26, 2016, 03:00 PM. Reason: clarification, I hope

Comment

The Manual instructs you to enter your most likely score for the hole. Eight on a par 3 is the ESC maximum; that's a different topic. Hmmm, well, it's not a different topic --- ESC applies, so yes, you enter your adjusted score.

You could play an 18 hole match and never complete a hole, but you still enter an 18 hole score into the handicap system.
          It is a little unwieldy.... One of the beauties of match play is that when you're out of a hole, you're done. Pick it up and you save maybe 30 minutes in the game. And when you've lost a hole, not a lot of motivation to grind out that bogie or assume you would. But makes sense. Applying a score of 2 over par makes a little more sense but Golf Canada agreed to use the USGA system. maybe because Canucks had no chance with our cap system in Amateur handicapped competitions.

Comment

Hi,

I think it makes sense for the USGA, and Golf Canada, to have identical systems (as they do now). (The only remnant, I think, is that we have Handicap "Factors", and Americans have Handicap "Indexes").

Back to the original topic: you'd be irritated to lose big to someone who said:
            "I never put my match play scores in the system, because I don't putt out on every hole";
            or
            "I don't understand the significance of T-scores, so I don't ever enter those tournament scores as T-scores".

So, I'll repeat myself: post your match play scores; and if the tournament committee says that you are to post your score as a T-score, then do so.

Comment

Originally posted by blftotoo View Post
              IS the score adjusted? IE - a pickup on a par 3 being recorded as an 8 (for a 19 Cap). What if opponent has an Eagle on a P5 and you pickup after 3 shots?
              No you post what would be your most likely(ie 50%+1) score for the hole.
              You would only use the ESC number if that likely score is higher than your ESC.
              For instance, on that par 3, if your FC putts out for a 7, and you are lying 8, 10 feet from the hole, then you would put in a score of 8, not 10.

Your most likely score is what you would take on the hole 50%+1 of the time.
              On that par 3, if your FC puts it in for a 2 and you are lying 2, 1 foot from the hole, most likely you would score 3, so you enter that for your score. If you were 8 or 10 feet, then you would probably enter 4 for your score. 45 feet, probably enter 5. The grey area is 3-5 feet, but most people know how good a putter they are, and you enter the likely score based on that.

Similar to if you go OB or put it in a WH, and concede the hole. Most people know what they are likely to shoot on the hole based on those circumstances.

Comment

Hi,

So, I'll repeat myself: post your match play scores; and if the tournament committee says that you are to post your score as a T-score, then do so.

That's really the issue though. Should the 'tournament committee' have that power? They could just as easily say the the club champ should not be entered as a T score, which would be absurd.

Is there really any reason to NOT have match play scores count as T scores?

Comment

Hi; I'll say no more; have a look at the Manual at the Golf Canada site.

Comment

Originally posted by wlorcb View Post
                    No you post what would be your most likely(ie 50%+1) score for the hole.
                    You would only use the ESC number if that likely score is higher than your ESC.
                    For instance, on that par 3, if your FC putts out for a 7, and you are lying 8, 10 feet from the hole, then you would put in a score of 8, not 10.

Your most likely score is what you would take on the hole 50%+1 of the time.
                    On that par 3, if your FC puts it in for a 2 and you are lying 2, 1 foot from the hole, most likely you would score 3, so you enter that for your score. If you were 8 or 10 feet, then you would probably enter 4 for your score. 45 feet, probably enter 5. The grey area is 3-5 feet, but most people know how good a putter they are, and you enter the likely score based on that.

Similar to if you go OB or put it in a WH, and concede the hole. Most people know what they are likely to shoot on the hole based on those circumstances.
                    Great post. If you have a 20 ft putt and you pick up, you are "most likely " to 2 putt.

Comment

Originally posted by Lob wedge View Post
                      Great post. If you have a 20 ft putt and you pick up, you are "most likely " to 2 putt.
                      Never saw me putt....

Comment

Originally posted by blftotoo View Post
                        Never saw me putt....
                        1 putt or 3 putt?

Comment

Originally posted by curitiba View Post
                          1 putt or 3 putt?
                          Who knows.... one to three - all equally likely...

Comment

What if your match only lasts 14 holes?
                            We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                            Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                            Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                            Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                            Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                            Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                            Srixon Star XV
                            Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Originally posted by dmcdam View Post
                              What if your match only lasts 14 holes?
                              Because you have played 13 holes, this must be entered for HC purposes.

For any holes not played or not played under ROG, the procedure is:

you score par for each hole, plus any HC strokes you would have gotten.
                              If your HC is 18, this is easy-you just enter bogey for each hole not played. If your par plus strokes goes over your ESC, you enter your ESC number instead(although I don't think this is mathematically possible).

Par plus strokes makes the unplayed holes handicap neutral.

The jury is still out on whether this is a T score of not

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                              X