No announcement yet.
Collapse

Do you challenge idiots on the course?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've said things to others on the course about things like slow play, or waiting unnecessarily for the green to clear in the past. It's never resulted in being thanked for a lesson in etiquette. Instead, it leads to a terse exchange that leaves everyone seething. This usually causes me to play bad golf for the next few holes as I steam about the ignorance of others. I've come to realize that it's just not worth it. Instead, I remind myself that I'm spending a day on the golf course with friends, and that life is pretty good. Keep it cool and let it go!

Comment

I think it's our obligation to report that sort of behavior, I told a person the other day his son should not be driving a golf cart.when he didn't seem to listen a quick trip back to the clubhouse solved the issue.

Comment

Probably just me but even a call to the clubhouse sounds like too much. I can picture the clubhouse rolling their eyes. At most I'd mention it to the on course marshal and let him remind them of etiquette on raking. As other posters have said, don't let crap like this ruin your day.
        Over thinking, over analyzing separates the body from the mind.

Comment

Originally posted by 3 off the tee View Post
          I've said things to others on the course about things like slow play, or waiting unnecessarily for the green to clear in the past. It's never resulted in being thanked for a lesson in etiquette. Instead, it leads to a terse exchange that leaves everyone seething. This usually causes me to play bad golf for the next few holes as I steam about the ignorance of others. I've come to realize that it's just not worth it. Instead, I remind myself that I'm spending a day on the golf course with friends, and that life is pretty good. Keep it cool and let it go!
          Golf, traffic, bad weather, those 3 simple words can vastly improve your quality of life.

Comment

Hey guy, how’s the round going? You gettin much golf in this year?

a. 40 rounds, that’s great, enjoy the rest of your round

b. Third round ever, glad to see you picking up the game, it’s fabulous and frustrating just like a woman. As an FYI , I noticed you in the bunker back there. It didn’t effect us but some guys get really pissed if there ball lands in an unrated bunker. Enjoy the rest of your round.

approaching a the ******* with being one is a recipe for disaster. Approaching b nicely is a lesson learned.... as long as b isn’t a jerk of course

Comment

Not sure why the guy doing 40 rounds a year should get a pass.

He, too, needs some kindly re-education.

Not overly confrontational, but you might want to lead him to enlightenment.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

Perhaps it's time to introduce some sort of "etiquette lessons" for new or nearly-new golfers, and some refreshers for others.

Most of the bad behaviour that I've seen on golf courses is likely the result of ignorance rather than apathy. People simply don't know what they're supposed to do because they've never received the appropriate instruction. IMO, it's not necessarily intuitive to rake a bunker after you've hit out of it, especially if rakes are neither readily obvious nor available. To some people, driving a power cart in long grass while looking for a ball is just a quicker way to search, but they may not realize the damage that can be done by doing so. Lots of players still don't grasp the basics of how to not play slowly (ready golf, flag tending, cart positioning, etc.), mainly because there are few consequences to playing slowly.

AFIK, there are some golf courses in Europe which require players to show evidence that they have completed training in the basics of the game, including etiquette. Although a little Draconian with regard to removing barriers to the game, I can see the benefits of it. That is, if more people knew and followed the etiquette of the game, then the game would provide a better experience for ALL concerned.

Comment

Got paired up with a twosome on Saturday booking through GN , I had to keep reminding the one guy that they should rake the bunkers after they hit form there as I told him that it sucks ending up in someones footprint . He drove me nuts as you think he would have caught on after finding almost every green side bunker . I came to the conclusion that he was ignorant to the fact that there is some etiquette involved. I am starting to find this is now a common occurrence .

Comment

Originally posted by davepratt View Post
                    I watched a guy in a group of golfers today that appeared to be around 20 years old take 2 massive practice swings in a green side bunker then chunk his shot and finally get the ball out. He left a major mess in the trap and didn't rake it. I wanted to drive up to the next tee and hand him a rake but my buddy said to let it go which I did. It was a public course. In the olden days I would have challenged this clown but you never know these days. Do you folks just let this stuff go?
                    No. They are “idiots”!

Comment

Originally posted by rgk5 View Post

So, Asst. Super, what would YOU do if you saw the same situation, since you are responsible for playing conditions?
                      If i were playing behind them i wouldnt care.

If i was working i would let them know the proper etiquette about raking the bunky. People are usual on their best behavior when they see course workers watching them. No need to get fired up about it.. That sort of stuff happens all day everyday at pubs. Glad i work at a top tier private club with an older membership.

Comment

Played Station Creek on Sunday behind a mom and two boys maybe about 10-12 years old. Love seeing that but when they didn't put the flag in after they were done the 2nd. hole it wasn't something we didn't want to see. Fast forward to the ninth hole one of the kids was in the fairway bunker hacking away then walked out and the mom just stood there watching him and then they walked off down the fairway.
                        On the 11th hole, our group hit into a forested area bordering two holes. We drive up to find a ball in the trees but wasn't mine. I asked the group on the other fairway if they may have played the wrong ball and they claimed they didn't understand me as they didn't speak good English. They insisted that the one in the trees was mine.
                        He then pulled out my golf ball from his pocket and went to pick up the one in the tress saying it was his!!! WTF????
                        I was flabbergasted!!
                        Driver -Titleist 913 Diamana D+ 72 x5ct S shaft
                        Metal woods - 13* Titleist 980F Strong 3
                        Hybrid - 19 * and 21*Titleist 585H
                        Irons - Titleist AP2 712 5-PW
                        SW - 56* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
                        GW - 52* Titleist Vokey Spin Mill
                        Cleveland 588 60* Lob wedge
                        Putter _ Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 1.5
                        Bag- Titleist
                        Ball - Pro-V1x or Bridgestone B330 RX

NOTHING GREAT WAS EVER ACHIEVED WITHOUT ENTHUSIASM

Comment

I think we expect too much out of people. Unfortunately many are ignorant or simply don't give a rats azz. I still don't understand how a player doesn't replace his divot when he takes a huge pelt.

Comment

WhiteWalker This is what surprised me.....a couple weeks back I played one of Windsor's "best" public courses (in fact it is ranked in the top 59 in Canada). Ball marks all over their greens, divots all over the fairways too. My first time playing this course (I have a scramble there soon) and was shocked. I'd never play there again, it's not worth $69 for 18 and a cart (which is too pricey for me to do on a regular basis).

I'm lucky that I have not really encountered the situation posted by the OP. I wouldn't bother saying anything - I'd go the route of the marshall. As has been mentioned - I don't want to ruin my day or round of golf because of some idiot(s).

Comment

Funny this post came up I actually confronted 2 people last week at 2 different courses (Wyndance and Kings Riding) for leaving there power carts in the parking lot expecting staff to come out and drive them in.

In both cases I parked/blocked in their car and I advised them the staff is not their servant and to take their carts back.

The person at Wyndance sent his wife back with the cart and picked her up in front.

At KR, the person told me no he does not have to becasue his dues cover it. So I put my car in park blocking him and got out to drive his cart back. Made him wait the whole time.
                              In the Bag

Driver: Epic Flash Sub Zero - Accra FX-260
                              Fairway Wood: Cobra F8 - Tensei CK Orange
                              Hybrid:Mizuno JPX 900 - Accra FX-200H
                              Irons: Mizuno JPX 900 Tours - KBS C-Taper
                              Wedges: Mizuno S7 Blu-ion - 49*, 53.5*, 59* - DG Spinner
                              Putter:Bobby Grace Smart Fit F18
                              Ball: Bx or Z-Star XV
                              --------
                              Home Course - Clublink

Comment

I hate all the stories about the deterioration of playing conditions caused by thoughtless players that have been describes so far: Unraked bunkers, unfilled/replaced divots, ball marks. It's an epidemic of disrespect and ignorance that is drastically changing the game.

I doubt very much that I'd get too upset by someone making staff do a little extra work to retrieve a power cart. I'd be pretty tempted to start slowly backing into someone's car who had blocked me in, just to see how serious they were.
                                "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X