X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: President Trump

Originally posted by sauerkraut View Post
    We have a new Bowling Green.

The latest terrorist attack to (not) happen was Friday night in Sweden. It was (not) terrible. Thousands were (not) killed.

Someone in Trump's circle needs to take away is TV remote. He's like my BIL at Thanksgiving dinner, I don't know what stories to believe anymore.
    Former PM of Seeden...

Carl BildtVerified account ‏@carlbildt
    Sweden? Terror attack? What has he been smoking? Questions abound.

This so-called ex-PM dude has now joined the rank of enemies of American people.

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
      I am mostly a fan of McCain but he is not innocent in this regard. His selection of Sara Palin as his running partner helped to legitimize altright populists.
      This ^^^^^.

It's ironic that John McCain will likely become, if he isn't already, Trump's greatest critic during this administration. I hope McCain never forgets his responsibility in this regard, mainly because Mitch McConnell and some others don't appear willing to even chide Trump for his behaviour in the past three months.

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
        I hope McCain never forgets his responsibility in this regard, mainly because Mitch McConnell and some others don't appear willing to even chide Trump for his behaviour in the past three months.
        McCain has already shown a precedent. He voted for impeachment against a President for lying about something as innocuous as a blowjob.

Let's see if he has the guts to ignore his GOP bias when another vote comes around.

Comment

Originally posted by sauerkraut View Post
          McCain has already shown a precedent. He voted for impeachment against a President for lying about something as innocuous as a blowjob.

Let's see if he has the guts to ignore his GOP bias when another vote comes around.
          There are some things that you just don't lie about...

Comment

I don't have faith in McCain being able to rein in Trump. He's pulled everything from his war record and as far as it will go. America loves a hero, but the applause dies down with time.
            His choice of Palin was ill conceived and completely pragmatic, intended to draw the women's vote. He would have been stuck with the same loud Bette Midler shtick Palin rolled out for Trump.
            things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
              America loves a hero, but the applause dies down with time.
              And the American political system, voters, electoral college chose Eisenhower over MacArthur. May have chosen Nixon over JFK. Rejected George H. W, Bush for a 2nd term. Rejected Bob Dole. Rejected John McCain and John Kerry. All of these rejected/defeated candidates based on their actions in war time earned the title of 'hero'. None of the candidates who won, with the exception of Ike saw combat and some even 'bought' their way out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by

[url
                https://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2017/02/break-on-through-to-the-other-side/517098/[/url]
                From that Atlantic article in regards to ties with Russia:

Trump was asked, “Can you say whether you are aware that anyone who advised your campaign had contacts with Russia during the course of the election?” He said aside from Mike Flynn, the answer is no. In fact, he went even farther. “Russia is a ruse. I have nothing to do with Russia. Haven't made a phone call to Russia in years. Don't speak to people from Russia. Not that I wouldn't. I just have nobody to speak to. I spoke to Putin twice. He called me on the election. I told you this. And he called me on the inauguration, a few days ago. We had a very good talk, especially the second one, lasted for a pretty long period of time … I have nothing to do with Russia. To the best of my knowledge no person that I deal with does. Now, Manafort has totally denied it. He denied it. Now people knew that he was a consultant over in that part of the world for a while, but not for Russia. I think he represented Ukraine or people having to do with Ukraine, or people that—whoever.”

In doing so, Trump effectively denied the veracity of a recent New York Times report asserting, “phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald J. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the election, according to four current and former American officials.”

I don’t know if Trump or his team are guilty of any wrongdoing with regard to Russia. But Trump’s statement that he has “nothing to do with Russia” elides the fact that Trump made millions partnering with a Russian billionaire, Aras Agalarov, to host the Miss Universe pageant in Moscow in 2013. And in April 2016, when his campaign hosted an invitation-only campaign speech in Washington, D.C., that focused on foreign policy, Russian ambassador Sergey Kislyak attended Trump’s speech and sat in the front row.

As for people that he deals with, Rex Tillerson, his new secretary of state, was longtime director of a U.S.-Russia oil firm, and was awarded the Russian Order of Friendship by Vladamir Putin. “Carter Page, an early foreign policy adviser to Donald J. Trump who was scrutinized by the F.B.I. on suspicion of private communications with senior Russian officials over the summer, was back in Moscow on Thursday,” the New York Times reported in December. Page, Flynn, and Manafort all resigned over murky Russia ties.

Perhaps this is all a series of innocent coincidences. But Trump misleads Americans into thinking there is no valid reason for suspicion when he falsely claims outright that neither he nor any person he deals with has ties to Russia.

Comment

And the American political system, voters, electoral college chose Eisenhower over MacArthur. May have chosen Nixon over JFK. Rejected George H. W, Bush for a 2nd term. Rejected Bob Dole. Rejected John McCain and John Kerry. All of these rejected/defeated candidates based on their actions in war time earned the title of 'hero'. None of the candidates who won, with the exception of Ike saw combat and some even 'bought' their way out of it.
                  Uh, JFK served in the Pacific theatre. Remember PT109?

Comment

But Trump misleads Americans into thinking there is no valid reason for suspicion when he falsely claims outright that neither he nor any person he deals with has ties to Russia.
                    "Some people are suggesting that their President is a crook. Well, I'm not a crook!" - President Richard Nixon

Turns out, he was.

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                      Interesting premise on a world that I do not inhabit so would not be in a position to validate it's premise. It does a good job of defining a group of Trump voters who are not the traditional disaffected baby boomers who got left behind segment or the money class who want more money.

It could serve as the basis for a much darker, more evil reboot of Revenge of the Nerds.

https://medium.com/@DaleBeran/4chan-...8cb#.jenffo65o
                      A most interesting read. My generation has been conditioned to total faith in the American Dream. To me, 4chan sounds like a dystopian Scifi future.

Related, I was listening to a short piece on the future of robotics. Even China is losing manufacturing jobs to robotics. Those jobs are never coming back because they are ceasing to exist.

Hmm, in the worst case scenario, does America implode around trump and do the cockroaches take over sooner than anticipated?
                      In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                      and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by Benz View Post
                        Uh, JFK served in the Pacific theatre. Remember PT109?
                        Yes that was my point, that Nixon may have actually received more votes than JFK.

Guess I could have been clearer in my wording?

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                          A most interesting read. My generation has been conditioned to total faith in the American Dream. To me, 4chan sounds like a dystopian Scifi future.

Related, I was listening to a short piece on the future of robotics. Even China is losing manufacturing jobs to robotics. Those jobs are never coming back because they are ceasing to exist.

Hmm, in the worst case scenario, does America implode around trump and do the cockroaches take over sooner than anticipated?
                          Oddly enough, one of the opportunities the US does have in manufacturing sector growth is building robots to sell to the world to replace human labor. The goal of the robotics industry is for the annual fully loaded cost or lower of a low wage laborer (anywhere in the world) to place a robot (including maintenance, retooling costs, etc..) in a factory to do their job. As I understand it this is just recently becoming a reality.

It is a prime example that those countries that invest in science, engineering, technology that own the learning community will be the ones that produce the products in the future. Governments and industries need to heed this and make sure they foster university and private R&D if they want to be at the top of the food chain in the future economy. Low cost labor will continually be driven lower everywhere in the world. Not sure exactly how 6 - 9 billion people fit in all of that over the next few hundred years but the even bigger trick is to make sure they can be a market for all of the products that can be built so cheaply.

Comment

Originally posted by pendlebg View Post
                            ... Low cost labor will continually be driven lower everywhere in the world. Not sure exactly how 6 - 9 billion people fit in all of that over the next few hundred years but the even bigger trick is to make sure they can be a market for all of the products that can be built so cheaply.
                            If you are mega rich and have robots to do everything, who cares about that other 9 billion...
                            In The Bag

Golf clubs

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                              If you are mega rich and have robots to do everything, who cares about that other 9 billion...
                              The new Urban reality will be a Favela on every City
                              Plot.
                              things change

Maga Lies Matter

Comment

Originally posted by bl8d View Post
                                The new Urban reality will be a Favela on every City
                                Plot.
                                Perhaps. We are definitely entering the dystopian/utopian future scifi has been writing about for so long. Futurists are usually quite wrong about where we end up, so who knows what this round of automation brings.

I do believe that the wide distribution of wealth is a requirement if humanity in general is to prosper. I am also quite certain that the likes of Trump, Tillerson and Steve Bannon have zero interest in ensuring said wider distribution.
                                In The Bag

Golf clubs

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X