Collapse

Ford Government, Year One

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fore Warned View Post

But it was not a 14% wage increase across the board for Deputies. Yes, the top end of of the wage range was increased by that amount, but only long serving Deputies will be eligible.

The bottom end of the range was increased by 3% Iirc.

As for the rank and file staffers, the 1% limit over the next 3 years will go a very long way to keeping a great hoard of people hovering just below the $100,000 mark from getting on the “Sunshine” list.
    Oops, got it wrong. The bottom end of the pay scale for Deputies went up by 14%. The top end of the scale went up 3%. So entry level Deputies got a hearty boost. Those higher up the pay ladder got less.

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

Oops, got it wrong. The bottom end of the pay scale for Deputies went up by 14%. The top end of the scale went up 3%. So entry level Deputies got a hearty boost. Those higher up the pay ladder got less.
      Well less in % . . . in actual dollars might be pretty much the same.
      If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
        The point I was making was that a previous poster was confusing DMs with MPs and Cabinet Ministers with comments about three month vacations, etc. The MPs were not sitting for three months, but the DMs were definitely on the job. In the past, DMs have had base wages frozen for years at a time but participated in a bonus system with strict performance metrics.

DMs can be politically connected but many are career civil servants with no partisan political affiliation and have served governments of all three major parties. DoFo has been more partisan than his predecessors with his DM appointments....Di Tommaso being a case in point. But DMs are very different animals with very different duties and responsibilities from MPs and Cabinet Ministers.

I agree that the DoFo government often spews rhetoric which is very inconsistent with its actions.
        Fair enough, but you cannot deny there is something very much off centre when DoFo is slash and burning with cuts everywhere saying there is no money but somehow finds it for MPP housing allowances and this particular pay raise, not to mention the $16K one to 31 Con MPPs earlier in the year.

Comment

• I agree...DoFo's concern for the public purse is very situational related, primarily dependent on his perception of who supports or opposes him. He is the chief conductor on the illusive "gravy train" that he and his brother vilified when city councillors.

Comment

• Well we are getting more information about the cancelling of renewable energy projects . . . cost to tax payer: $231M

The Ford government is spending hundreds of millions of dollars this year to tear down or cancel 751 renewable energy projects around the province, according to documents obtained by CityNews. “Last year, this government insisted that there would be no cost to cancelling renewable energy projects like the White Pines Wind Farm,” NDP energy critic […]

If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• So Ford is spending up to $1m for a consultant to advise on best way to make cuts to programs supporting adults with developmental disabilities.

The Ford government offered to pay up to $1 million for an outside contractor to help it cut costs in a sector supporting some of Ontario's most vulnerable residents.
              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
              Srixon Star XV
              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• dmcdam I heard about this earlier, the National Post had a similar article. Immediately I thought of you and your family.
                Really at a (polite) loss, to what I think about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rifleman View Post
                  dmcdam I heard about this earlier, the National Post had a similar article. Immediately I thought of you and your family.
                  Really at a (polite) loss, to what I think about him.
                  I appreciate the thoughts! In reality we're a decade or so away from having to deal with the fallout from these cuts but it certainly doesn't make me sleep any better knowing what could be in store. Plus I feel terrible for all those ask risk of losing what little they have today. One of the members of our group currently has a 20-something year old son who lives in a hospital because she can't physically do it any longer, and there's nowhere else to house him. Yeah, this is where we need to make cuts, FFS.

Srixon Star XV
                  Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Originally posted by Chambokl View Post
                    Well we are getting more information about the cancelling of renewable energy projects . . . cost to tax payer: $231M

https://toronto.citynews.ca/2019/11/...ergy-projects/
                    To add....this figure was found only because the NDP did a search of the Ministry of Energy Public Accounts. They needed to get the Legislative Library to clarify the purpose of a $231M budget line item listed as..."Other Transactions" as the paybacks for backing out of the wind energy ontracts.

So the Ford Government was effectively trying to bury the payback and its amount. So much for transparency and accountability.

And this bill is not finished. Another project to be cancelled, the White Pine, is reputed to cost another $100M for cancellation. Some put the cost at $140M.

The Ford Government thinks it will legislate it's way out of penalties for cancelling these projects....ain't gonna happen, but they will spend money on this, including the $30M set aside for court action against the carbon levy.

As well, let's not forget about the $103M kill fee levied when American energy regulators blocked a proposed Hydro takeover of an American utility as a results of political interference in the ouster of Hydro One's CEA.

This is starting to stack up much like the Liberal gas plant scandal.

Open for business indeed.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...east-231m.html

Fortunately there are no rules limiting the number of golf balls you can carry during a match!

Comment

To add....this figure was found only because the NDP did a search of the Ministry of Energy Public Accounts. They needed to get the Legislative Library to clarify the purpose of a $231M budget line item listed as..."Other Transactions" as the paybacks for backing out of the wind energy ontracts.

So the Ford Government was effectively trying to bury the payback and its amount. So much for transparency and accountability.

And this bill is not finished. Another project to be cancelled, the White Pine, is reputed to cost another $100M for cancellation. Some put the cost at $140M.

The Ford Government thinks it will legislate it's way out of penalties for cancelling these projects....ain't gonna happen, but they will spend money on this, including the $30M set aside for court action against the carbon levy.

As well, let's not forget about the $103M kill fee levied when American energy regulators blocked a proposed Hydro takeover of an American utility as a results of political interference in the ouster of Hydro One's CEA.

This is starting to stack up much like the Liberal gas plant scandal.

Open for business indeed.

https://www.thestar.com/politics/pro...east-231m.html
                      Then tack on any penalty from the Beer Store cancellation, and you've got yourself a good old boondoggle! Just what every broke government needs. Didn't even take him 2 years. Impressive.

Srixon Star XV
                      Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Let's not forget DoFo's cancellation of C+T eliminated approximately $3B of revenue.

And finally the Hydro One payout was $10M+, and guess what? Our hydro bills went up!!

It's almost like a failed sticker salesman who only ran a company because it was his daddy's actually has no fcking clue how to manage finances or... anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rusty View Post
                          The point I was making was that a previous poster was confusing DMs with MPs and Cabinet Ministers with comments about three month vacations, etc. The MPs were not sitting for three months, but the DMs were definitely on the job. In the past, DMs have had base wages frozen for years at a time but participated in a bonus system with strict performance metrics.

DMs can be politically connected but many are career civil servants with no partisan political affiliation and have served governments of all three major parties. DoFo has been more partisan than his predecessors with his DM appointments....Di Tommaso being a case in point. But DMs are very different animals with very different duties and responsibilities from MPs and Cabinet Ministers.

I agree that the DoFo government often spews rhetoric which is very inconsistent with its actions.
                          Or perhaps we weren’t confusing the two, just stating other ways Dofo is costing the taxpayers money?

Comment

• Another ill-conceived manoeuvre was rightly overturned.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/court...tudent-groups/

While the Court never determined whether the government had acted in bad faith in this case, paragraphs 67 and 68, at least for me, spoke volumes:

Click image for larger version  Name:	1ED5DB9D-C038-432F-84A9-54A6CF96D275.png Views:	0 Size:	905.6 KB ID:	3068903
                            Last edited by mpare; Nov 22, 2019, 08:51 AM.
                            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post
                              Another ill-conceived manoeuvre was rightly overturned.

https://www.canadalandshow.com/court...tudent-groups/

While the Court never determined whether the government had acted in bad faith in this case, paragraphs 67 and 68, at least for me, spoke volumes:

Click image for larger version Name:	1ED5DB9D-C038-432F-84A9-54A6CF96D275.png Views:	0 Size:	905.6 KB ID:	3068903
                              It's just typical of Ford's "Ready, Shoot, Aim" approach to decisions.

For a guy who's postsecondary education is 2 months at Humber College, I'm not sure he's qualified to speak about the value of student fees.

He completely torpedoed this initiative with the unsupportable combination of retaining mandatory athletic fees (I didn't go to university for the athletics) and his dog-whistle fundraising email with that line "I think we all know what kind of crazy Marxist nonsense student unions get up to."

Student unions are democratically elected, so they represent their student body's wishes. Those may or may not be Marxist.

Ironically, his Minister of Education Stephen Lecce was...... President of the students' union when he attended Western.
                              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                              ...Iggy

Comment

• And more walking back - https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/high-scho...uate-1.4696447

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X