No announcement yet.
Collapse

Justin Trudeau government term 2

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Regarding media bias, I go all the way back to the Kent Commission on the concentration of ownership in the media.

Research demonstrates that ownership of the media is predominantly 'conservative' in its outlook.
    The CTV was founded under Diefenbaker to reward his backers in the media, such as John Bassett.

PostMedia is perhaps the most blatantly one-sided, since Paul Godfrey assumed power. I have many reasons to 'complain' about Godfrey but his directive in 2015 to have all their papers publish a front page endorsement of Harper was in the opinion of many the most blatant 'abuse' of his power.

The Sun prior to Godfrey was famous for allowing its columnists/reporters to express opposing/their own views.
    The Post under Conrad Black was perhaps the best newspaper in Canadian history in regard to content and diversity.
    The Star's largest shareholder is a charitable organization dedicated to social justice, based on the 'Atkinson Principles'.
    The Globe is the 'paper of record' and despite being for much of its history a 'business focused' paper is diverse in its viewpoints.

The CBC and TVO in Ontario are publicly funded/owned.
    TVO's primary political coverage is led by Steve Paikin.
    The CBC has been accused of being pro-Liberal. In reality it is more Gatineau Elite/Urban Ontario focused. This of course upsets 'Wexit' type supporters. The CBC does try to balance its coverage with panelists from all parties. The Camp, Kierans, Lewis panel on Morningside being the most famous.

There are many argument for having a public broadcasting system. Among these is as demonstrated private broadcasters can be dominated/have their coverage influenced by their ownership's personal views, or by the demands/requirements of their advertisers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

There are many argument for having a public broadcasting system. Among these is as demonstrated private broadcasters can be dominated/have their coverage influenced by their ownership's personal views, or by the demands/requirements of their advertisers.
      Apart from its thoughtful programming, this for me is the most important reason for its continued existence. Words cannot describe how much my wife and I looked forward to listening to a CBC radio broadcast after having spent 3 months every winter in Alabama. Absent PBS, Alabama radio stations offered NOTHING intellectually stimulating.
      This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post

Apart from its thoughtful programming, this for me is the most important reason for its continued existence. Words cannot describe how much my wife and I looked forward to listening to a CBC radio broadcast after having spent 3 months every winter in Alabama. Absent PBS, Alabama radio stations offered NOTHING intellectually stimulating.
        while living norther Ontario i developed a great appreciation for the quality and depth of CBC radio programming.

I think many of us in the south think of CBC as only CBC TV and and because of the quantity of options available have little time for CBC radio.

Comment

• Originally posted by mpare View Post

C'mon now, didn't you find Rick and Bubba stimulating?!?!

Comment

• Originally posted by AjaxGolf View Post

C'mon now, didn't you find Rick and Bubba stimulating?!?!
            How could I have forgotten them boys?
            This isn't a dress rehearsal. Enjoy yourself. There's no do-over.

Comment

• Originally posted by Richd View Post

while living norther Ontario i developed a great appreciation for the quality and depth of CBC radio programming.

I think many of us in the south think of CBC as only CBC TV and and because of the quantity of options available have little time for CBC radio.
              IIRC the TV side gets something like 80% of the budget. Other than the news, it doesn't really offer all that much, especially now that we have so many alternatives.

CBC Radio, OTOH is generally worth listening to. So many good shows where you can actually learn things - The Current, Ideas, The Doc Project, Q, Under the Influence, White Coat Black Art.... It's really "nice" to come away from listening to the radio with some new thoughts and ideas.

It may be an age thing. I thought CBC was utterly lame until I reached about 40. "Brave New Waves" caught my musical interest a little earlier.
              "Confusion" will be my epitaph
              ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post
                Scheer continues to lack self awareness and just does not know when to quit.

Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.PNG Views:	0 Size:	129.0 KB ID:	3068868
                LOL well we should expect no less.

Is it someone telling him this is the right approach or is it all his big idea?

Has there ever been a party leader more of a petulant whiny baby that Scheer? Guess what buddy? You LOST. You're a loser! Deal with it! LOL!

No, I'm going to keep stalking JT on twitter every day like he's my ex, even when I retire I'll keep tweeting about him multiple times a day like a total psycho creep.

Comment

• Originally posted by parkie View Post

LOL well we should expect no less.

Is it someone telling him this is the right approach or is it all his big idea?

Has there ever been a party leader more of a petulant whiny baby that Scheer? Guess what buddy? You LOST. You're a loser! Deal with it! LOL!

No, I'm going to keep stalking JT on twitter every day like he's my ex, even when I retire I'll keep tweeting about him multiple times a day like a total psycho creep.
                  That's a bit harsh.

I don't expect the Leader of the Opposition to stop criticizing the PM. As Lord Randolph Churchill put it "The duty of an Opposition is to oppose".
                  ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

That's a bit harsh.

I don't expect the Leader of the Opposition to stop criticizing the PM. As Lord Randolph Churchill put it "The duty of an Opposition is to oppose".
                    Well, considering Scheer dishes is out 24/7/365, I can only assume he can take it.

Actually, he is a Conservative so I actually know for a fact that he can't.

Churchill's quote was abridged, because it was purely cynical, from the expression "The duty of an Opposition is to oppose and propose nothing" - funny how THAT is actually what is going on.

Comment

• Originally posted by parkie View Post

Well, considering Scheer dishes is out 24/7/365, I can only assume he can take it.

Actually, he is a Conservative so I actually know for a fact that he can't.

Churchill's quote was abridged, because it was purely cynical, from the expression "The duty of an Opposition is to oppose and propose nothing" - funny how THAT is actually what is going on.
                      Just to be accurate, my googling tells me Churchill's was the non-cynical version. He changed it from the original which is attributed to George Tierney, an 18th century british politician.

Anyway, I dislike the expression in either form. Opposing for the sake of opposing should not be how the opposition operates. Both sides have mostly good ideas and those need to be implemented (with or without some modification) and moved on with. Bad ideas should be opposed, and forcefully.

Unfortunately we see increasing polarization in our politics, and it's seen as a game in which the objective is to beat your opponents no matter what.
                      Last edited by Ignatius Reilly; Jan 19, 2020, 06:50 PM.
                      ...Iggy

Comment

• Canada experienced the biggest employment jump in 40 years in 2019 — and now wages are going up too

https://www.thestar.com/business/opi...he-future.html

Maybe Trudeau is alright....

Comment

• You know it's a slow news day when .....

Comment

• Originally posted by IrishGuy1979 View Post
                            You know it's a slow news day when .....

https://globalnews.ca/news/6440682/c...y-in-winnipeg/
                            Trudeau bought donuts and trolls got triggered.

Thanks social media.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bellyhungry View Post

Trudeau bought donuts and trolls got triggered.

Thanks social media.
                              Yeah that was silly. Actually I give him credit for going out and buying them himself, and not sending an underling to do it.

Comment

• Originally posted by 4wedges View Post

Yeah that was silly. Actually I give him credit for going out and buying them himself, and not sending an underling to do it.
                                I actually don't.

He's the PM of the country, he should spend his time better.

Not only that, but there were probably some extra security costs, and definitely some costs for the photographer (that's not a selfie that he posted....).

As for the donut scandal itself.... the critics got the price wrong, and ignored the fact that better, local products often cost more than chains serving from frozen.

However, the Liberals earned this from their treatment of Bev Oda and the $16 glass of orange juice. She didn't even stage a photo op for that....
                                ...Iggy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X