No announcement yet.
Collapse

The Panic over the CoronaVirus [ Covid -19] is both Ridiculous and Unjustifed

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I talked with my wife at length about why we couldn't have controlled the spread alike S. Korea. She is a healthcare worker also with a Korean background.

I agree with some of the previous posts that public compliance is actually pretty good here now. 99% of people indoor wear masks. Also, many of the superspreader events/places such as private gatherings, gyms, indoor bars/restaurants, etc. are actually not limited in S. Korea. Schools have been mostly open, sometimes at reduced capacity supported with online learning.

So what's really the biggest difference? We think it must be their strict quarantine measures. I found a stat that if you test positive in S. Korea, you must be quarantined in a hospital/medical facility (62%), designated self-isolation accommodation (36%), or at home (2%) until you test negative and/or spend 14 days. This stat was reported back in July. Read that again, if you test positive, basically you must stay at either a hospital/medical facility or an alternative isolation accommodation.

In case you aren't familiar, they also require every person (non-citizen) entering the country to quarantine themselves at designated self-isolation accommodation for 14 days AND you get tested at the end.

Here, if you test positive or enter the country, people are just told to go home and self-isolate... A lot of people could end up sharing the same space as other family members. And I don't really trust that everyone would follow that measure strictly. Also, they don't even get tested at the end to be cleared.

The problem is of course, I think such restrictive measures would not fly with people here, and also we probably don't have enough medical facilities to support all the required quarantines -- maybe it was possible when the numbers were low.

Their contact tracing / testing must have played a significant role as well. But I don't think as significant as the quarantine measures.

Comment

• In case it hasn't been posted in here yet, here is Dr. Roger Hodkinson (virologist and chairman of the company that owns the covid test) calling covid the greatest hoax ever perpetrated on an unsuspecting public. Masks don't help against things that spread on aerosols, a positive covid test IS NOT indicative of an infection, and other golden nuggets of knowledge are dropped by this man in a call with the Alberta government....which is shutting down despite a 1/300,000 risk of death according to their own statistics. https://www.*****ute.com/video/OD0uZRAtD1Se/ Be safe. Be cautious. But make your own decisions. Governments should not be dictating what ppl can and can't do with their own bodies.

Comment

• Definitely will not be clicking that link.

Comment

• the sensored bit of the link is one word bit chute. Here is a youtube link to same call... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VH2pbVr6O8

Comment

• Still not clicking....

Comment

• If you want to plug your ears and not listen to an expert in the field with a literal financial interest in more testing telling you what is up, that's on you.

Comment

• You’re right. Maybe I should only listen to some random golfer on the Internet who I’ve never met to provide me with reliable info.
                Last edited by Marty Canuck; Nov 22, 2020, 01:14 PM. Reason: Fixed it.

Comment

• an expert in thw field and chair of the company that owns the covid test, speaking as an invited guest on a government conference call is far from some random guy on the internet. Simply refusing to listen to any opinion, informed as it may be, that doesn't come from within your own echo chamber is the definition of willful ignorance. That link again is: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6VH2pbVr6O8

Comment

• Originally posted by SmoothBomber View Post
                    If you want to plug your ears and not listen to an expert in the field with a literal financial interest in more testing telling you what is up, that's on you.
                    He's a pathologist, so maybe somewhat "expert", although what he's saying contradicts what the great majority real "experts" in virology and epidemiology are saying.

He's one voice, and he has other docs who support his view, but it's not the predominant view in the medical profession.

Here's a statement from the Royal College (Canada):

"On November 19, 2020 the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada (Royal College) was made aware of statements regarding COVID-19 by a Royal College Fellow, Dr. Roger Hodkinson. In some online references, Dr. Hodkinson is being incorrectly identified as a chair/past-chair of the Royal College.

We would like to clarify that Dr. Hodkinson is not nor has ever held the position of chairman of the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada.

We can confirm that Dr. Roger Hodkinson was certified by the Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada as a general pathologist in 1976.

The Royal College believes COVID-19 presents a serious threat to the health of Canadians. The Royal College strongly supports all public health advice given by the Chief Public Health Officer of Canada, including recommendations to practise physical distancing and to wear masks to help prevent COVID-19 transmission. We are very appreciative of the dedication and commitment of our Royal College Fellows, residents and all front-line health care workers in the fight against COVID-19."
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

• The majority of those with specialized training in infectious diseases favour government interventions up to and possibly including a 'lockdown' when the infection/transmission rate exceeds a prescribed amount.

Some other medical professionals disagree with this but they comprise a small minority. Many of these have either signed or support the 'Barrington Declaration'.

A number of these signatories are also advocates of 'right wing' politics, placing individual liberties at the apex of their concerns.

My 'sparring partner' on this thread and I first engaged long before the 'pandemic' when he made posts advocating for greater 'private healthcare' in Ontario/Canada.

Based on these and similar postings and his 'sign in name', it is my concern that his views may be influenced by his political beliefs. We see this in the USA with educated people like Ben Carson and Scott Atlas advocating against increased government interventions.

This is what the Chief Medical Officer of Health in Alberta has written regarding the Barrington Declaration.

https://www.alberta.ca/herd-immunity...claration.aspx

Lockdowns are certainly damaging to independent/small businesses, and may increase mental health issues.

However going to work daily while worrying about COVID transmission can also create mental health issues. And as noted primarily impacts those at the lower socio-economic scale who may live in substandard, or overcrowded housing or in multi-generational households.

The key from what I can deduce, is to control the spread of COVID infections/hospitalizations so that the death rate is minimized, and our healthcare workers/systems do not become overwhelmed to the point that surgeries and tests are being cancelled.

And to hopefully ensure that a vaccine is acquired and distributed as quickly as is safely possible.

I enjoy and actively encourage those who disagree with me to point out the flaws in these theories/points. Using statistical evidence, research papers and 'mainstream' media reports.

Unfortunately it appears that the pro and anti mask/government intervention/lockdown advocates are too often split among the right and left wing politically.

And there I go on a long winded tangent. Again
                      Last edited by Arthur Dailey; Nov 22, 2020, 02:27 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

And there I go on a long winded tangent. Again
                        Meh just an average length post for you.
                        In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                        and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

He's a pathologist, so maybe somewhat "expert", although what he's saying contradicts what the great majority real "experts" in virology
                          Well there you have it, he treats dead people.

I would say he is as much an expert , but quite likely less of one on the subject of covid as other doctors, like my Dentist, Chiropractor , Urologist and my pet's veterinarian.

I can see him not endorsing masks as , well his patients are all physically dead....and well those who follow him , likely a bit brain dead.

and Youtube.....that bastion of credible scientific knowledge that world experts all visit and learn from...lol

Click image for larger version  Name:	9E0846A1-881C-40AA-8835-5F6559DF2A8E.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	146.3 KB ID:	3273807
                          "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredk View Post
                            Meh just an average length post for you.
                            I need to hire an editor.

Good news, I tested negative.

Bad news. Despite reducing the workforce by 20%, providing masks, hiring a sanitation crew, keeping doors and windows open, and pre-screening workers daily, starting on Thursday we began receiving reports/confirmation of positive cases from our workers..

Therefore in response we just decided to close down, for a period of at least 10 days.

Comment

I need to hire an editor.
                              Nah, the posts just wouldn't be you then.

Good news, I tested negative.

Bad news. Despite reducing the workforce by 20%, providing masks, hiring a sanitation crew, keeping doors and windows open, and pre-screening workers daily, starting on Thursday we began receiving reports/confirmation of positive cases from our workers..

Therefore in response we just decided to close down, for a period of at least 10 days.
                              Glad you tested negative. You've had more than enough 'fun' for this year.

Good choice on closing down.
                              In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                              and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

I enjoy and actively encourage those who disagree with me to point out the flaws in these theories/points. Using statistical evidence, research papers and 'mainstream' media reports.
                                I'll keep my eye out for clickbait headlines from The Sunday Times and opinion pieces from The National Review, just to keep you on your toes.
                                TorontoGolfNuts.com/TGNFantasy

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X