Collapse

The Panic over the CoronaVirus [ Covid -19] is both Ridiculous and Unjustifed

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by guitarman View Post

I'll never be convinced that we shouldn't have the right to have our businesses open (end the useless lockdowns) and those that wish to hide can do so (I'm a hider) and those that wish to frequent the businesses are free to do so. I'm not for loss of freedom and rights.
    I agree. Subject to reasonable limits on capacity and adherence to mask/social distance/sanitizing. The full on lockdowns need to end. As do ridiculous limits like 10 people capacity for dining (red zone). That can't possibly work, but some bureaucrat who has never run a restaurant dreamed up that number. Feels good to "do something". The Legion's out here responded by immediately closing as they can't possibly afford the restrictions. Nice move government!

Civil disobedience like Adamson's is going to continue. While I don't support the whacko anti-mask crowd, this guy is just trying to survive. Being surrounded by the whacko's is detrimental to his very legitimate position that forced closures like this are unacceptable.

Ford needs to overrule Toronto and immediately open restaurants and stores with capacity limits and safety restrictions in place and monitored. Break reasonable rules, you get shut down.

Having big box American owned stores like Walmart open while the little guy is closed especially during Christmas shopping time is an obscenity.

Comment

• Originally posted by vermin40 View Post

I'm not an anti-masker or an anti-vaxxer. But if you want to argue that am I am - have fun arguing with yourself.
      Did I argue that?

What I stated is that as more insight and knowledge was gained into the virus, recommendations and treatments have changed.

Those who argue that the recommendations are now 'inconsistent' with what was originally recommended are not using logic.

Let me put this another way. When I first started playing football we were taught to 'bull our neck' and make contact with our opponent using our forehead and mask. Use that to drive the opponent backwards or into the ground.

I broke multiple helmets using that approach. And the screws for my masks on different occasions.

I learned an after game ritual that we used to use with most of my teams after each game, inspecting our helmets and masks. The guy who had the most paint marks from the helmets of the other team on his helmet/mask won the award for the most 'good hits'.

Not only is 'spearing' now illegal in football, but what would happen to a coach who advocated it?

Things change, as we learn.

Comment

• Skelly was arrested today after he brought locksmiths in to reopen the place.

It turns out that he wasn't just defying the lockdown -- he doesn't even have a licence to operate in the first place. The place hasn't been visited by health inspectors and he hasn't been paying insurance.

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post

Did I argue that?

What I stated is that as more insight and knowledge was gained into the virus, recommendations and treatments have changed.

Those who argue that the recommendations are now 'inconsistent' with what was originally recommended are not using logic.

Let me put this another way. When I first started playing football we were taught to 'bull our neck' and make contact with our opponent using our forehead and mask. Use that to drive the opponent backwards or into the ground.

I broke multiple helmets using that approach. And the screws for my masks on different occasions.

I learned an after game ritual that we used to use with most of my teams after each game, inspecting our helmets and masks. The guy who had the most paint marks from the helmets of the other team on his helmet/mask won the award for the most 'good hits'.

Not only is 'spearing' now illegal in football, but what would happen to a coach who advocated it?

Things change, as we learn.
          Post concussion syndrome....that would explain a lot! Hey, just kidding AD. That was like a straight line “high-hanging fastball” that needed to be knocked out of the park!

I don’t really think that of course it is offered with the levity of a buncha guys hanging out with a beer and laughing at each others stories.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pimento Cheese View Post
            Skelly was arrested today after he brought locksmiths in to reopen the place.

It turns out that he wasn't just defying the lockdown -- he doesn't even have a licence to operate in the first place. The place hasn't been visited by health inspectors and he hasn't been paying insurance.
            Wow, he’s dumber than I first thought. Operating illegally AND sticks his neck out? This ought to be the end of his business.

Comment

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post

Post concussion syndrome....that would explain a lot! Hey, just kidding AD. That was like a straight line “high-hanging fastball” that needed to be knocked out of the park!

I don’t really think that of course it is offered with the levity of a buncha guys hanging out with a beer and laughing at each others stories.
              No problem, I was actually expecting someone to notice and mention it.

The guys still tell me the best game I ever played is one where I have no memory of most of the last half.

Comment

Skelly was arrested today after he brought locksmiths in to reopen the place.

How does one avoid being inspected? If true, there must be more to this story. If true it also makes him the perfect mascot for this particular fu movement.
                In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

• Originally posted by Fredk View Post

How does one avoid being inspected? If true, there must be more to this story. If true it also makes him the perfect mascot for this particular fu movement.
                  I don't know the details of his situation. But I imagine in order to be visited by health inspectors, the health inspectors need to know you exist, and if you don't register your business, they don't know you're there. A temporary loophole that catches up to you if you, say, make yourself famous for defying ministry of health orders.

It's possible he's not a genius.

I've got a feeling CRA might be checking Adamson BBQ tax filings.

Comment

I'll never be convinced that we shouldn't have the right to have our businesses open (end the useless lockdowns) and those that wish to hide can do so (I'm a hider) and those that wish to frequent the businesses are free to do so. I'm not for loss of freedom and rights.
                    Should I be allowed to run my business, which is based on stuffing 50,000 people per day into the Convention Centre for 4 straight days? I haven't made any money since March and I sure could use the a paycheque.
                    We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                    Srixon Star XV
                    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

Should I be allowed to run my business, which is based on stuffing 50,000 people per day into the Convention Centre for 4 straight days? I haven't made any money since March and I sure could use the a paycheque.
                      I know that I’d love to sell them all the carpet tape they use to put the aisle runners down for a few days....

Comment

I don't know the details of his situation. But I imagine in order to be visited by health inspectors, the health inspectors need to know you exist, and if you don't register your business, they don't know you're there. A temporary loophole that catches up to you if you, say, make yourself famous for defying ministry of health orders.

It's possible he's not a genius.

I've got a feeling CRA might be checking Adamson BBQ tax filings.
                        Liquor Lic Act requires insurance. The City requires insurance as well. The perfect storm is hospitality insurance is a very difficult market right now. Many markets have ceased writing the class entirely. He may have been offered insurance at drastically different terms than the prior year and simply couldn't afford it with the sharp reductions in business. Just speculation but that's a general comment on the restaurant industry and insurance woes.

Comment

• I definitely feel for small business owners and restaurants, they are having to bear the brunt of the lockdown burden. Had the Adamson BBQ owner at least tried to enforce social distancing, sanitization and masks then I could at least support him in some way. He chose to ignore every safety protocol out there.

Comment

Yes. Some kind of deal should be worked out that balances your right to make a living with public safety (as much as can be) should be worked out. You'll not likely be getting 50,000 people per day. Those who wish to risk it will. Those who don't will stay home.

Comment

Yes. Some kind of deal should be worked out that balances your right to make a living with public safety (as much as can be) should be worked out. You'll not likely be getting 50,000 people per day. Those who wish to risk it will. Those who don't will stay home.
                              Now image I found a few thousand people willing to take the risk, and it turned into an event that ended up with dozens (hundreds?) of cases of COVID, and possibly a bunch of deaths? Should I be allowed to run another one a few weeks later? How do you balance out my need to make a living with the health of others? Trying to decide how much risk is acceptable seems to be the problem governments are wrestling with. That's leading to lots of disagreements, but I agree with the premise. What I have a problem with is anyone advocating we throw off all the protocols and "see what happens," which seems to be what this idiot restaurant owner has decided to do.
                              We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
                              Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
                              Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
                              Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
                              Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
                              Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
                              Srixon Star XV
                              Ogio Grom bag

Comment

Now image I found a few thousand people willing to take the risk, and it turned into an event that ended up with dozens (hundreds?) of cases of COVID, and possibly a bunch of deaths? Should I be allowed to run another one a few weeks later? How do you balance out my need to make a living with the health of others? Trying to decide how much risk is acceptable seems to be the problem governments are wrestling with. That's leading to lots of disagreements, but I agree with the premise. What I have a problem with is anyone advocating we throw off all the protocols and "see what happens," which seems to be what this idiot restaurant owner has decided to do.
                                Lets take it to the other extreme. Because thats where we're headed. Close the economy. Fully. partially, whatever. Starve out the businesses, kill the economy. How many deaths do you think that will cause? Civil unrest, starvation, desperation. We aren't there yet but it wouldn't take much.
                                If you feel its your duty to shut down, then by all means you should be free to do so. If we end up being 2 years from a widely distributed vaccine how many can last that long?

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X