/**/

Collapse

Announcement

No announcement yet.
Collapse

The Covid 19 Vaccine, will you be getting it and if so, when?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

I'm not sure he is.

With life so disrupted, people are looking for entertainments.

We've made accommodations so that professional sports can keep going, so why not the Olympics?

Taking 400 vaccines out of order to make the Olympics happen, when you've got a program that needs to deliver to 25 million people, means the rest of the queue is only shifted back a day, probably a half a day if you really press the math.
    If you're only considering our Canadian team. Multiply that by all teams, plus all the support staff, now you're getting into what, tens of thousands? Then there's the whole question whether the games should even be going ahead. The risk seems pretty high for a lot of spread considering the sheer numbers of people involved. Would any other gathering of this size be allowed for any reason?

Edit - I hadn't even thought about all the international travel required to pull this off. I hardly think this qualifies as "essential," though the royalty at the IOC will certainly paint it that way.

We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
    Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
    Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
    Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
    Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
    Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
    Srixon Star XV
    Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Originally posted by dmcdam View Post

If you're only considering our Canadian team. Multiply that by all teams, plus all the support staff, now you're getting into what, tens of thousands? Then there's the whole question whether the games should even be going ahead. The risk seems pretty high for a lot of spread considering the sheer numbers of people involved. Would any other gathering of this size be allowed for any reason?
      Well, he's only talking about the Canadian impact, and it doesn't really change things if you expand it to the whole world - because then you're taking tens of thousands, but out of... billions? of vaccines so it's still just putting everyone else back a half a day.

I had thought he'd included all staff - trainers, nutrition, arena, etc. which will inflate the numbers.

I get that it's definitely got a tone-deaf aspect, just not sure it's a valid problem.

OTOH, they could do what I heard some golf club in Florida(?) has done. They've managed to divert some vaccines that were to be delivered to a long term care home so their members could get vaccinated earlier.

God Bless America.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

Well, he's only talking about the Canadian impact, and it doesn't really change things if you expand it to the whole world - because then you're taking tens of thousands, but out of... billions? of vaccines so it's still just putting everyone else back a half a day.

I had thought he'd included all staff - trainers, nutrition, arena, etc. which will inflate the numbers.

I get that it's definitely got a tone-deaf aspect, just not sure it's a valid problem.

OTOH, they could do what I heard some golf club in Florida(?) has done. They've managed to divert some vaccines that were to be delivered to a long term care home so their members could get vaccinated earlier.

God Bless America.
        IMO I don't think the games should be happening at all, so maybe that's why I'm highlighting this.

As for the golf club in FLA, isn't it really just the same thing? Moving otherwise healthy people up the cue means others that should be higher priority will wait longer. If someone could convince me that no healthcare workers, elderly people, or others with complications would be bumped because of this, then I'm still struggling with why all this travel will suddenly be okay.
        We may not be good but at least we'll be slow - PB

TM RBZ Tour 10.5 set to 9 deg with Aldila RIP Alpha 70s
        Adams IDEA Super Hybrid XTD 17 deg stiff
        Nike Machspeed 3H 21 deg stiff
        Wilson FG Tour V4 - 4i-GW - DG Pro S300 - TLT build
        Cleveland/TM wedges - 53 / 56 / 60 - all one length
        Cleveland BRZ Classic 1 putter
        Srixon Star XV
        Ogio Grom bag

Comment

• Was that the villages or some other club?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bosco View Post
            Was that the villages or some other club?
            Palm Beach Country Club from what I read

Comment

• Originally posted by threeputt View Post

Palm Beach Country Club from what I read
              Interesting - I read that desantis was doing a photo op at the villages.

Comment

• NEW YORK (Reuters) - Pfizer Inc and BioNTech’s COVID-19 vaccine appeared to work against a key mutation in the highly transmissible new variants of the coronavirus discovered in the UK and South Africa, according to a laboratory study conducted by the U.S. drugmaker.

The not-yet peer reviewed study by Pfizer and scientists from the University of Texas Medical Branch indicated the vaccine was effective in neutralizing virus with the so-called N501Y mutation of the spike protein.

The mutation could be responsible for greater transmissibility and there had been concern it could also make the virus escape antibody neutralization elicited by the vaccine, said Phil Dormitzer, one of Pfizer’s top viral vaccine scientists.

The study was conducted on blood taken from people who had been given the vaccine. Its findings are limited, because it does not look at the full set of mutations found in either of the new variants of the rapidly spreading virus.

Comment

• Like Italy hasn’t had enough problems. A giant sinkhole opened up next to a hospital treating Covid patients and they had to evacuate it!

Comment

• Originally posted by Marty Canuck View Post
                    Like Italy hasn’t had enough problems. A giant sinkhole opened up next to a hospital treating Covid patients and they had to evacuate it!

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/us/hu...mg0?li=AAggFp4
                    Marty, it seems only 6 patients were evacuated . . . not sure what happen to the rest.
                    If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• Unless I missed it no mention of the story that prisoners in Federal jails will be getting vaccines soon. Guards I get but prisoners...don't agree at all with that one until every other citizen in the country has had one.
                      BIG MOY GOLF...POWERED BY SNICKERS
                      Member Century Club...Osprey Valley May 20, 2010...108 holes
                      There is no next year...signed Leaf fan

Comment

• Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post
                        Unless I missed it no mention of the story that prisoners in Federal jails will be getting vaccines soon. Guards I get but prisoners...don't agree at all with that one until every other citizen in the country has had one.
                        My wife and I were talking about that this morning.

I know that a lot of government policy and actions don't make a lot of sense from the outside, but having been on the inside before there can be surprising justifications.

However............. this one really surprises me, so I'd be interested in hearing what the thinking is behind it.

Like really interested.
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

I know that a lot of government policy and actions don't make a lot of sense from the outside, but having been on the inside before there can be surprising justifications.

However............. this one really surprises me, so I'd be interested in hearing what the thinking is behind it.

Like really interested.
                          From what I read, prisoners use the same health care system as the rest of us. And how do you deal with a dangerous offender who has COVID? Send him off to a hospital? Let him die in prison?

There are lots of people in prisons for a variety of reasons - some not all that serious in terms of crimes. The fact that they are locked up in a confined space with others makes it difficult to manage an outbreak. Yes they committed crimes and gave up their freedoms in doing so but does that mean they should be left to die if an outbreak happens? There is a duty of care aspect here, like it or not.

I am not saying this is right, just saying this is what I have read.
                          MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Like really interested.
                            If I had to guess I would say that the amount of transferring of COVID back and forth between communities and prisons is substantial and the only way to protect the community from that is to eliminate the virus in the prisons. I also recall that there are many people who serve sentences for lesser crimes on weekends only so that is another revolving door in and out. Lots of other reasons for people to be present in prisons other than prisoner and guard.

True Public Health should means reducing the most serious vectors of disease without concern about who those people are. Sometimes that choice will be easier to sell to the public, sometimes not but if the math says that eliminating the higher risk populations first is right then that is what it is.

As a point of comparison, I heard an argument months ago that put forward starting vaccinations in the 20 - 30 year old group first would reduce COVID better as that is the group that keeps the transmission chains going the worst. And even moreso get it into those who flout public health regulations the most to get the fastest reduction in overall transmission.

The point being the virus does not care about the morals of the person it infects and if public health should be focused on reducing transmission the fastest that is worth considering. However is that the fastest way to reduce deaths? Maybe not, I do not know, but I could be convinced vaccinating the most vulnerable (the old and pre existing conditions and those who interact with them) will have the best outcome in reducing death totals, if not infection totals. That certainly would be a better thing (in my mind anyway)

At the end of all of this I still personally favour vaccinating those who are must susceptible first which we are doing but I can see the logic in a different approach, no matter how distasteful many would find it. However when we get to who's got next after the most vulnerable and those who interact with them, then a little from column A and a little from column B might be easier for the public to stomach.

Comment

• Originally posted by golfingoalie View Post
                              Unless I missed it no mention of the story that prisoners in Federal jails will be getting vaccines soon. Guards I get but prisoners...don't agree at all with that one until every other citizen in the country has had one.
                              Hey Gerry . . . just to make sure, just the prisoners are getting the vaccine NOT the guards . . . I thought you might like that . . .
                              If you think it's hard to meet new people, try picking up the wrong golf ball.

Comment

• There is now a Vaccine Queue Calculator
                                The vaccine queue calculator for Canada estimates where you are in the queue to get your COVID vaccine based on your age, community, and job.

my results :
                                Click image for larger version

Name:	4595BBB4-F483-4CB4-84EC-39F29B6DED7D.jpeg
Views:	161
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	3300695
                                "Don't cry because it's over, Smile because it happened "

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X