Collapse

Trudeau Government Term 3

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bcampb00 View Post

Ontario’s “Conservative worshippers” should be pretty pleased about now. Doug Ford just won a strong majority, Pierre Pollievre is building momentum in polls (especially in the younger demographic), Turdeau has some extremely weak polling support and the Republicans are going to rag doll the democrats in the mid terms.
    I don’t know who turdeau is...but I know who pee pee is..
    the man who wants Canada on crypto currency...and a few
    other wacko directions...

Comment

• Originally posted by northernpro View Post
      all of the oil boys
      in Alberta were crying for the pipeline to be expanded...BC
      did not want it...they were the losers in that deal
      Not really. The far better alternative was the Northern Gateway. It would have gone to an unrestricted deep water port with a shorter transit time to Asia. That terminal could also handle VLCCs and ULCC’s. (1MM to 2MM+ bbl vessels). The largest that will get into the Burnaby TMPL terminal I believe is a SuezMax (750,000 bbl), and allowing that capacity will require a lot of regular dredging the channels to ensure clearance. Crude buyers and sellers prefer the larger cargoes as hey are more efficient to move, load and unload. So marketing cargoes loading from Burnaby will be more challenging due to their smaller size than those available from cmpeting jurisdictions.

No one I know in Alberta, and I know a lot of CEOs and other senior executives of oil companies, wanted to see the government buy the TMPL. Trudope backed himself into that corner by making investing in energy infrastructure a hugely risky gamble due to his cancelling Energy East and Northern Gateway. When the Liberals bought TMPL, everyone I knew figured it was going to balloon costs and be a total mess. Government getting involved in commercial projects are almost universally disasters. Kinder Morgan threatened to walk away from TMPL due to the uncertainty and the Liberals took the bait and bought it to save face.

Ping G430 9*, Ping Tour Chrome 65g Reg flex
      Ping G430 Max 3w and 5w, 75g Ping Tour Chrome Reg flex
      Ping G430 Max 22* Hybrid 85g Ping tour Max Reg flex
      TM P790 irons, 5-AW, DG R300U 105gm
      Ping Glide 54/12 and 58/08 wedges
      Scotty Cameron Newport 2, 33”​

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
        And to demonstrated the hypocrisy of all parties.

The current Liberal government provides billions of dollars in 'subsidies' to petroleum companies in Canada. Far exceeding any funding for 'renewable/green' energy.

Why does Canada keep propping up Big Oil
        David Olive – The Star – August 6, 2022
        I see all these articles mentioning “subsidies to fossil fuel producers”, but I cannot for the life of me ever find what those subsidies are, beyond things like capital cost allowances available to most other companies.

Comment

• Originally posted by duffer_mcmulligan View Post

I see all these articles mentioning “subsidies to fossil fuel producers”, but I cannot for the life of me ever find what those subsidies are, beyond things like capital cost allowances available to most other companies.
          the oil industry in Canada will never be happy..
          pure and simple...

Comment

the oil industry in Canada will never be happy..
            pure and simple...
            So show me what all these so called “subsidies” are..Simple request.

Your accusations have zero basis in reality or fact.

Comment

So show me what all these so called “subsidies” are..Simple request.

Your accusations have zero basis in reality or fact.
              over $18 billion in 2020...google search is your
              friend...

Comment

over $18 billion in 2020...google search is your
                friend...
                Why should I do your work for you? Show me the link you are so certain proves your point. Copy /paste that difficult?

Comment

Why should I do your work for you? Show me the link you are so certain proves your point. Copy /paste that difficult?
                  maybe you should just go hang out with your
                  oil buddies...that’s your career...

Comment

maybe you should just go hang out with your
                    oil buddies...that’s your career...
                    So.... you've got nothing?

Then just say so and quit with the name calling, it's not adding anything to the discussion.

Maybe take a vacation and go to Alberta. The weather's good there in the fall.

You might be surprised to find Albertans are neither all Conservatives nor are they all bad (nor are all Conservatives bad, for that matter).
                    "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                    ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Arthur Dailey View Post
                      And to demonstrated the hypocrisy of all parties.

The current Liberal government provides billions of dollars in 'subsidies' to petroleum companies in Canada. Far exceeding any funding for 'renewable/green' energy.

Why does Canada keep propping up Big Oil
                      David Olive – The Star – August 6, 2022
                      That was a strange article quite lacking informative content. The author makes the following case early in the article which you (oddly) omitted:

”And Canada, like many countries, lacks transparency in how public funds are spent in the energy sector.

There is a crazy quilt of federal and provincial energy subsidies that take many forms, among which are oilpatch supports that the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) refuses to acknowledge as subsidies.

You cannot achieve progress without measuring it. And that is impossible to do for lack of a proper inventory of total state assistance to the energy sector. Ottawa has promised but failed to deliver one.”

In his next paragraph he quotes another source which pinpoints the subsidy at $18 billion (you faithfully reproduced that part). So which is it? You can’t even find out what these “subsidies” are and how much they amount to? Or the companies profits are way too high and the industry should be subjected to a windfall tax?

Seems like rather spurious logic coming from someone so dedicated to factual analysis?

Comment

That was a strange article quite lacking informative content. The author makes the following case early in the article which you (oddly) omitted:

”And Canada, like many countries, lacks transparency in how public funds are spent in the energy sector.

There is a crazy quilt of federal and provincial energy subsidies that take many forms, among which are oilpatch supports that the Canadian Association of Petroleum Producers (CAPP) refuses to acknowledge as subsidies.

You cannot achieve progress without measuring it. And that is impossible to do for lack of a proper inventory of total state assistance to the energy sector. Ottawa has promised but failed to deliver one.”

In his next paragraph he quotes another source which pinpoints the subsidy at $18 billion (you faithfully reproduced that part). So which is it? You can’t even find out what these “subsidies” are and how much they amount to? Or the companies profits are way too high and the industry should be subjected to a windfall tax?

Seems like rather spurious logic coming from someone so dedicated to factual analysis?
                        the oil boys circling the wagons....stuffing their
                        pockets with cash....tax them on their excess profits..
                        the rest of Canada needs some too..

Comment

the oil boys circling the wagons....stuffing their
                          pockets with cash....tax them on their excess profits..
                          the rest of Canada needs some too..
                          Well, I guess if you have determined that the profits of oil companies are “excessive”, there is nothing left to debate. Are the profits of other companies that have done well during the pandemic also excessive? Tech? Pharmaceutical companies? Real estate agents? Golf courses? How do you determine how much of the profit of each is excessive and should be surrendered to the state?

In the case of oil companies how will we persuade them to invest in future exploration and development (and production I guess) if there is no profit incentive? Or maybe we should just stay cold, hungry and immobile?

I’m certain that if you come up with a convincing argument PM Blackface will make you a cabinet minister.

Comment

Well, I guess if you have determined that the profits of oil companies are “excessive”, there is nothing left to debate. Are the profits of other companies that have done well during the pandemic also excessive? Tech? Pharmaceutical companies? Real estate agents? Golf courses? How do you determine how much of the profit of each is excessive and should be surrendered to the state?

In the case of oil companies how will we persuade them to invest in future exploration and development (and production I guess) if there is no profit incentive? Or maybe we should just stay cold, hungry and immobile?

I’m certain that if you come up with a convincing argument PM Blackface will make you a cabinet minister.
                            would love to rub shoulders with this PM....
                            Mr. Trudeau.

Comment

That was a strange article quite lacking informative content.
                              A "strange" article?

Seems like you have a problem with its author, and/or his opinion. Here is his bio:

David Olive is the author of nine previous books and is an award-winning journalist whose business articles, news reporting and reviews have been published widely. Olive's articles have won eleven awards and honourable mentions from the National Magazine Awards, National Journalism Awards and the National Business Writing Awards. No Guts, No Glory: How Canada's Greatest CEOs Built Their Empires, published in 2000, was a finalist in the National Business Book Awards.

Currently a business and current affairs columnist at the Toronto Star. In books, blogs, magazine features, newspaper articles and speeches, Olive has covered the global business, economics and political science at The Toronto Star.

David Olive has been the editor-in-chief of Report on Business Magazine, as well as a senior writer at the Financial Post and the National Post. He is a frequent speaker on business topics, notably corporate leadership, economics and business ethics.
                              Since he is a respected journalist with over 30 years of experience, and his column was published in Canada's largest heritage newspaper., you acknowledge that he would not print/publish statistics which are not correct. Otherwise at very least his employer would have to publish a public retraction and even possibly be served with a lawsuit. And before being published anything controversial would have to pass a 'fact check' and be approved by their legal department.

But if you believe that you or any of us have better credentials or access to facts that can repudiate what he printed/wrote then please 'have at it'.

Comment

would love to rub shoulders with this PM....
                                Mr. Trudeau.
                                LOL, this explains a lot!

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X