No announcement yet.
Collapse

Loud Music is Fine, Wearing a Shirt is Optional

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What if you're playing a hardhat course and just as you're getting to your ball a group playing loud music rolls up in the next fairway?

Do I have to ask them "Please turn down/off your music, pretty please"?

Or can I just yell "Turn your F-ing music off, you bunch of inconsiderate A-holes!"?

Or should I wait and hold my tongue/breath?
    WITB: clubs, balls, tees, Advil and a candlestick (just in case)

Comment

• Originally posted by raptorslover View Post

you just keep going don't you!

The point is, none of us are pros, there is nothing that matters on the line. None of us here won't get our next meal or have a place to sleep at night. Either side of the debate, people will do what they are going to do.... but the game is changing and what you personally think is right or wrong will have zero impact on the direction the masses choose to take the sport.

Now gentlemen, something very important is about to get started. Go raptors.
      Most rounds I've got something like $100 in green fees, and some 4 hours or so of my time "on the line". Those matter to me. I try to enjoy those hours as much as I can. Part of that enjoyment is getting away from the distractions and noises of the normal urban environment.

Originally posted by raptorslover View Post

Shocking your most interested in what you like
      Originally posted by Benz View Post

Why would I advocate for something that I don't like?
      Good point. That was such an odd comment.
      "Confusion" will be my epitaph
      ...Iggy

Comment

• Originally posted by Ignatius Reilly View Post

Most rounds I've got something like $100 in green fees, and some 4 hours or so of my time "on the line". Those matter to me. I try to enjoy those hours as much as I can. Part of that enjoyment is getting away from the distractions and noises of the normal urban environment.

Good point. That was such an odd comment.
        on the flip side of the equation, your saying your time is more valuable then someone elses.... and that everyone should have to enjoy their leisure time the same way you do. Its greedy and entitled thinking, and thats the way your coming across here. I've got no horse in the race, I don't personally listen to music on the course.

My beef is with guys like you that think your way is right, when Im saying golf is changing and embrace the change and hopefully everyone can respectfully enjoy their own time.

I think your mentality is part of what is holding golf back... The "I'm right because its the way it was in the past" or "I'm right because I say so" thinking.
        Last edited by raptorslover; Apr 18, 2018, 09:16 AM.

Comment

on the flip side of the equation, your saying your time is more valuable then someone elses.... and that everyone should have to enjoy their leisure time the same way you do. Its greedy and entitled thinking, and thats the way your coming across here. I've got no horse in the race, I don't personally listen to music on the course.

My beef is with guys like you that think your way is right, when Im saying golf is changing and embrace the change and hopefully everyone can respectfully enjoy their own time.

I think your mentality is part of what is holding golf back... The "I'm right because its the way it was in the past" or "I'm right because I say so" thinking.
          No, he is right because courtesy and etiquette rank far ahead of self absorbed selfishness. Most would be fine playing music quietly and/or wearing buds, but the self-centred jerk always ruins it for everybody. Zero tolerance is the only way to go.

Comment

• Originally posted by Galted View Post

No, he is right because courtesy and etiquette rank far ahead of self absorbed selfishness. Most would be fine playing music quietly and/or wearing buds, but the self-centred jerk always ruins it for everybody. Zero tolerance is the only way to go.

There are ways to deal with "self centred jerks"... its called having thick skin.

Comment

There are ways to deal with "self centred jerks"... its called having thick skin.
              What a lovely society we would have if everyone just had "thick skin" while the self-centered jerks could just go about their business, doing whatever they want. /sarc

As for the music controversy, we've had the ability to play music on the course for decades (portable radios), but we didn't, it was called common courtesy. The thing is in the past people had more etiquette and respect for others. It's only more recently where the mentality became all about "what makes ME feel good" and to heck with everyone else.

Comment

• Originally posted by cosmos411 View Post

What a lovely society we would have if everyone just had "thick skin" while the self-centered jerks could just go about their business, doing whatever they want. /sarc

As for the music controversy, we've had the ability to play music on the course for decades (portable radios), but we didn't, it was called common courtesy. The thing is in the past people had more etiquette and respect for others. It's only more recently where the mentality became all about "what makes ME feel good" and to heck with everyone else.
                The percentage of self centred jerks is small out there guys... lets not pretend like everyone on the course is an $sshole. 2 out of 100 might be disrespectful with louder then acceptable music. For the most part people in golf have manners.....

Comment

• I wear a shirt, and listen to music at a moderate level. I make no apologies for either.

Comment

You are making my case for me, so thanks for that.

My concern with loud music (not earbuds) is that other people are imposing how they enjoy golf onto me and making me enjoy my leisure as they do rather than how I want. THAT is greedy and entitled thinking.

My beef with guys like you is that you don't think anyone else is affected by what others do, and it they are affected they should just suck it up and ignore it because "times are changing".

I think your mentality is what will detract from what made golf such a unique pastime.

Comment

Thick skin only lasts for so long; a thick skull is forever.

Comment

• I can just see the reaction of the music-playing cretin when you point out that his music is loud and/or ask him to turn it down/off. Any or all of: "What? It's not loud." or "Who's it bothering?" or "Why should I listen to you" or "Who's going to make me?"

They were ill-mannered enough in the first place to think it belonged on a golf course and so I won't be surprised. I usually don't pack my cell phone in my bag but will consider carrying it, especially during afternoon rounds when the yahoos may be out. I generally don't play weekends and so don't have to worry about that.

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

Thick skin only lasts for so long; a thick skull is forever.
                          Aces.

Comment

• Originally posted by Coleslaw View Post
                            I wear a shirt, and listen to music at a moderate level. I make no apologies for either.
                            Please define a moderate level. Will someone on another fairway - 60+ yards away - hear your music clearly? I don't think I'd call that moderate.

Originally posted by Benz View Post

My concern with loud music (not earbuds) is that other people are imposing how they enjoy golf onto me and making me enjoy my leisure as they do rather than how I want. THAT is greedy and entitled thinking.

My beef with guys like you is that you don't think anyone else is affected by what others do, and it they are affected they should just suck it up and ignore it because "times are changing".

I think your mentality is what will detract from what made golf such a unique pastime.

I'd go so far as to say that the attitude can detracts from more than simply golf. Someone else blaring music such that it affects someone else's enjoyment of a shared space is rude and shouldn't be tolerated. You can see that in other areas - condo pool decks, public parks, etc. If we are told to just let it go or that we can't do anything about it, then the inconsiderate will always win over those who are considerate of other people. I'm all for compromise, but that doesn't mean "ignoring it" and letting someone else affect my enjoyment of a golf course or shared space.
                            In the bag:
                            R15 12° PXV 6.0
                            SLDR 15° ATX Blue S
                            Adams Pro 18° ATX, Idea Pro A12 20° NV S
                            Titleist AP2 4-PW Project X 6.0
                            Vokey SM5 54, 58
                            Scotty Cameron Newport 2

Comment

• Originally posted by Benz View Post

Im going to guess your age is 55+ isn't it?

I bet you that if you polled a golf course, less then 5 percent of public players listen to music. So lets say 10,000 rounds at an average mom and pop track. So thats 500 rounds a year with music playing. Of those 500 rounds Im saying 10% of those people listen too loudly, so 50 rounds out of 10,000 there is music too loud.

Classic Benz, your a complete classic. Griping about 50 rounds out of 10,000 being loud.... the equivalent of 0.005%.

Please break down your version of the percentages as well. I think my estimates are fairly reasonable. Perhaps a Marshall can chime in with their experiences to give us some hard data.

Comment

• Originally posted by WDM1980 View Post

Please define a moderate level. Will someone on another fairway - 60+ yards away - hear your music clearly? I don't think I'd call that moderate.

I'd go so far as to say that the attitude can detracts from more than simply golf. Someone else blaring music such that it affects someone else's enjoyment of a shared space is rude and shouldn't be tolerated. You can see that in other areas - condo pool decks, public parks, etc. If we are told to just let it go or that we can't do anything about it, then the inconsiderate will always win over those who are considerate of other people. I'm all for compromise, but that doesn't mean "ignoring it" and letting someone else affect my enjoyment of a golf course or shared space.
                                Well said.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Collapse

Today's Birthdays

Working...
                                X