No announcement yet.
Collapse

What's the DUMBEST Rule in golf?

X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My vote is for one that's new to me: you're only allowed to post about etiquette that is specifically covered in the rules of golf in the rules and etiquette section.
    What's in the Sunmountain 4.5?

10.5 M2 with Speeder 77 Stiff 3 wood shaft
    TM Rescue 17*
    TM M2 4-AW
    TM RAC 52/56 CG15 60
    Odyssey 2 Ball with Superstroke Fatso

Comment

Landing in casual water is bad luck, but provisions have been made to deal with that.

Comment

For me definitely hitting a great drive down the middle of the fairway and landing in a divot. Even Tiger thinks you should be able to get a free drop. If one of the greatest golfers of all time thinks the rule should be changed then I'd say it's a legit argument.

Comment

Why not play Pick Clean and Place or Pick Clean and Cheat as Jack once or more said.

They don't seem to waste much time making a decision when they have the rule in place on the Tour.

As for aaagc's reply learn to live with them; as they are mostly short and curt.
          Resolve to be tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving, and tolerant with the weak and wrong, because sometime in your life, you will have been all of these. Dr. Robert H. Goddard

Comment

Originally posted by ninja View Post
            Landing in casual water is bad luck, but provisions have been made to deal with that.
            Same with ball marks on greens and soon to be spike marks. It's not really a stretch to include divots
            MEMBER OF THE 2012 AND 2015 RYDER CUP CHAMPS!

Comment

Originally posted by ace in the hazard View Post
              My vote is for one that's new to me: you're only allowed to post about etiquette that is specifically covered in the rules of golf in the rules and etiquette section.
              LOL’s

Comment

Originally posted by elmeroil View Post
                For me definitely hitting a great drive down the middle of the fairway and landing in a divot. Even Tiger thinks you should be able to get a free drop. If one of the greatest golfers of all time thinks the rule should be changed then I'd say it's a legit argument.
                Nicklaus too!

Add me to the list agreeing to this.

Comment

I also think there's a distinct Euro vs. US split on this.

NFL, NBA, NHL, MLB.... all full of slow-mo replays and clocks counting down by 1/10s of a second to ensure accuracy and "fairness".

The biggest sport in Europe? Soccer (aka Football)? A couple of guys running on the sides eyeballing offside calls. Stoppage time? Up to the ref's discretion when to call it. Shootouts? None in NHL playoffs, but a once-every-four-years WC final? Let's go to penalty kicks to settle this, before it gets too late.

Ref's judgement alone decides red and yellow cards or just a foul. The escalation and subjective judgement are very similar to Flagrant Fouls One and Two in NBA, but.... NBA refs will often spend a lot of time watching the video review to determine the appropriate level. I don't watch a lot of soccer, but I don't recall seeing that there.

As Canadians, we are pulled in both directions. On this one, I'll side with my Scottish ancestors and the inventors of the game. Play it as it lies....
                  "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                  ...Iggy

Comment

What is the recommended solution to the divot 'issue'?
                    http://www.galagolfclub.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by aaagc View Post

Define a divot (hole) so that everyone knows what one is or isn't.
                      A big brown gash in the lovely green turf 1" deep or deeper with a similarly sized chunk of turf not more than five paces from said gash.

I don't like the idea of being punished for another persons laziness. Same goes for craters in sand traps, not that golf Golf North has anything resembling sand traps any more.
                      In The Bag

Golf clubs

"You're just expected to work and die ...
                      and maybe buy some useless s**t you don't need inbetween"

Comment

Originally posted by Fredk View Post

A big brown gash in the lovely green turf 1" deep or deeper with a similarly sized chunk of turf not more than five paces from said gash.

I don't like the idea of being punished for another persons laziness. Same goes for craters in sand traps, not that golf Golf North has anything resembling sand traps any more.
                        I know you're kinda kidding but...

If the divot splits in 2 or 3 pieces, you'd still hit out of the divot with your rule.

You're okay with hitting out of a divot that's 2cm deep?

Will the rules change to allow DMDs? (Depth Measuring Devices)

A divot that's 2/3 replaced leaves a mini-divot. Gotta hit out of that too?

Thinking about it, we're almost on the same page here....
                        "Confusion" will be my epitaph
                        ...Iggy

Comment

The most important reason why you don't get free relief from a divot hole according to the R&A/USGA is to preserve the fundamental challenge of the game by playing the ball as it lies. Practical difficulties in determining what is a divot hole leading to pace of play problems were also factors in considering the issue. Read all about it here:

The R&A seeks to engage in and support activities for the benefit of the sport of golf from The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and it's the last item on the right in the section named "Resource Library"

Comment

Originally posted by ColinL View Post
                            The most important reason why you don't get free relief from a divot hole according to the R&A/USGA is to preserve the fundamental challenge of the game by playing the ball as it lies. Practical difficulties in determining what is a divot hole leading to pace of play problems were also factors in considering the issue. Read all about it here:

The R&A seeks to engage in and support activities for the benefit of the sport of golf from The Royal and Ancient Golf Club of St Andrews.

Scroll to the bottom of the page and it's the last item on the right in the section named "Resource Library"
                            Only Rulies make it difficult. Hit it into a divot in the fairway, pick it up, lift to shoulder height and drop beside. You are not fluffing the lie or placing it gently down, just dropping it in the fairway that you just hit.....

Geez you guys love turning it into something complex.
                            Last edited by golfingtime; Jul 30, 2018, 11:46 AM.

Comment

The 5 minute rule. Should be 2. Especially when you start looking 100 yards ahead of where everyone saw you land.
                              – Greg

Comment

Any rule that makes the time to play a round longer.

Comment

Collapse

Latest TGN Reviews

Collapse

PGA Leaderboard

Working...
                                X